Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my CCP during the off season and lately I have been considering weapons. I have a .32 acp little browning clone semiauto that I am learning to shoot. It would be fine to carry but it has slam fired on occations. Since I have been shooting it to gain proficiency it has not jammed at all but the slam fire is alittle disconcerting but it sounds very intimidating. Don't know where the bullets go when it does that either. Anyway this got me thinking about a revolver to carry.

I have looked at a Ruger SP101 in 38 sp. Found a spurless at a local pawn shop yesterday and it felt very good. Sure feels like a quality piece. I will handle all the small ones at the next gun show I attend but I just thought I would like to hear what others like to carry and the holters they prefer. Remember this is for concealed carry.

I probably will not carry a lot but I do want to be able to when I feel it is necessary or when I just want to have a little extra peace of mind. It sure would be good to be able to help someone out of a bad situation or assist law enforcement if needed, without feeling like you were naked.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Chief,

My daughter just qualified for her CCW using the SP...her groups were small with at least six of the rascles in a quarter sized hole "center of mass". I doubt you could do better for a carry gun and I doubt you will ever wear it out.

I have carried an older Rossi snubnose for over three years in an IWB holster that nestles it in the hollow spot behind my right hip. That has been very comfortable for me and it is very seldom that I am without it (in the pre-school, courthouse, or on a commercial aircraft are the exceptions)

With plinking loads of Bullseye/cast bullets and 38spcl cases, it is a real hoot to hunt small game with and with the Fed Castcores, I believe it will punch through a layer or two of Carharts or a moose skull. You can't ask for mucy more than that I guess.

You may be surprised at how often you leave the house well armed once you start.

Scotty

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Chief,

I carried a Smith 940 for a while. Stainless, no exposed hammer, the perfect carry gun... except it was like carrying a brick in your pants! Way too heavy. I suspect that the SP101 will have the same fault, I haven't handled a lightweight Ruger yet (though the weight is appreciated in a Super Blackhawk, etc.).

I encourage you to look at some of the lightweight (titanium et al) guns for carry. Rust-resistant to the extreme, strong, and light so that you are encouraged to have the gun at all times, instead of leaving it at home because it's a pain (literally) to carry.

Recoil is not a trivial problem, but can be overcome. Don't know if you have to shoot to qualify for license but if you do, choose ammo that is most pleasing to shoot, and use for your practice as well. Save the fire-and-brimstone loads for when you have an urgent need for them!

Fix the slam fire before you shoot that .32 again. I would guess that the firing pin spring is weak, broken, or full of crud.

I really like the Taurus Ti line of snubbies. 7 shots of .357 mag in something that is comfortable to carry in your jeans all day.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mike G
Good advice have that gun fixed- Before you shoot your foot or some thing else!!

If you like auto's Ruger P-series is hard to beat-built like tanks and will Feed any thing!!! Accurate! I have a P90 .45ACP and wouldn't sell it for anything!

If you want a wheel gun the SP is a smooth action-accurate !!:D

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I handled a newer Ruger SP today and a old H&R that they only wanted a 125 bucks for. Might go back and get it just for kicks. It was a 38 special that folded down when the base pin was pulled. I guess this used to be a pretty standard action for a revolver in that time period. I have a double action .22 revolver that is a 2 inch barrel H&R that was my grandad's. Man, the more I think about it the more I think I better go get that thing.

Oh! Since both Mike and Gunnut expressed concern about the slam fire on the little .32 I will try to tear the trigger parts down and see what the problem is. I do not see the danger though as far as firing down range. It does not have enough muzzel rise to cause a out of control area round and is no different than any kind of autofire except only two rounds can go off before it stops. I guess if the firing pin stuck or broke completely it could empty a whole clip or jam trying. I do get your point though on a gun not functioning as it should being a safety concern and it could be embarrasing to have it slam fire at a defensive shooting class or during a CCP class. Thanks for making me think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tote a Taurus PT145. It is a nice light package with a capacity 10 + 1 45 ACPs. The only minor draw back is the butt is a whisker thick. I carry it in a High Noon SkyHigh holster for OWB carry and a Bianchi Minimist for IWB carry.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Cheif, Normally I carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special III IWB holster. Also carry a backup either a S&W 442 or a NNA mini revolver, sometimes all three. Always had good experience with Smith J-frames or Colts D-frames small revolvers. My advice is either fix the Browning or retire it to only range work. Have fun choosing.

·
Banned
105 Posts
For the last 12 years or more, I have carried a S&W model 640 (the 38 spl. version) It is my "alwaws gun", I never leave home without it. It has proven very accurate, utterly reliable, and reasonably compact and light. I carry 125 grain Corbon 38+Ps for serious social purposes. Recoil hasen't been a problem. I generally use a ankle rig made by Don Hume or a pocket holster by Galco, depending on the circumstances. The Ruger SP 101 is also a great little gun. I am not critical of anyones choice for a carry piece. We all have different ideas. I am very comfortable with mine. Glad to hear you are shooting. As always, developing proficency with your weapon of choice is of extreme importance.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Chief RID said:
Oh! Since both Mike and Gunnut expressed concern about the slam fire on the little .32 I will try to tear the trigger parts down and see what the problem is. I do not see the danger though
if you dont see the danger, you need your head examined.
ANY acedental discharge is a major concern!

THE most important thin in a carry weapon is reliability! if you are going to stake your life on it, it must be reliable. i wouldnt ever concider carrying a weapon that i havent put ATLEAST 1000 rounds thru w/o ANY problem. if i have even a hickup, i would try to figure out exactly why it hapened, fix it and restart from ground zero. and yes this inclueds jams, failure to feed , miss fires, and slam fires. if you cant rely on your gun, why bother carrying it?

that being said: i carry a glock 32 .357sig inside the waist band, in the small of my back. in the last year it has seen probably 5000 rounds thru it. i also have a glock 23 .40s&w that i i can use if i am doing any mods to the 32, it has seen probable 10k rounds in the last year. i shoot it alot more due to the amo being cheeper, but the balance feel and operation is the same as my regular carry gun.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the Taurus Titaniums today. They would be a dream but a dream they are on my budget. Taurus does make an interesting weapon that has some appeal to me but it is 5 oz. heavier than the .38s and .357s. It is the 44 special in a small frame revolver. Since I handload for the 44 special already and could load it back to comfortably practice, this is a possibility. Still like the feel of the SP101s and there are a lot of used ones out there. Did not pick up the H&R yet either. Thought I would let my need thoughts cool a little and try to find what I want.

I took the little Spanish .32 auto apart today. Did not find a problem other than years of wear. The firing pin spring seems good. I did a good thorough cleaning and will put some rounds through it when I get the chance.

I am crazy, but I will not consider the .32 for a carry gun unless it does perform flawlessly. I love to shoot it though and I hope I can get it to stop the slam fires. I have a feeling that parts are worn and the hammer is just following back and keeping the firing pin exposed. Retirement may be my only option. That is sad.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Chief,

My daughter laid claim to my .357 and will not return it. I had been looking at the Taurus 5 shooters and picked up a ported stainless in my favorite chambering....45Colt. I had it out to the range today and it looks like it will do just fine. It actually is more pleasant to shoot than my snubbie .357 ever with some pretty hot loads (CorBon 200gr JHP's and my handload 255 keiths over 13 grains of Blue Dot)

Them little Taurus revlolvers may only have five shots but they do go bang each and every time! I am also happy to have my CCW chambered the same as my woods loafin and hunting guns. Makes the ammo in the truck easier to track ;*)

Scotty

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, Cold. That's exactly what I figured. Money is tight right now and getting set up for another caliber is fun but a little expensive. The 44 special weighs in at 29 oz. unloaded. I know it would carry well inside the belt and I may get used to it at the ankle. As far as fit and finish the Taurus was fine and it felt just the same as the Smiths and Rugers. The Rossi was fine too but I guess it is a Taurus so it should feel the same.

Can't get that little H&R .38 revolver out of my head though. I will probably go look at it again today. I could buy it and dies and bullets and brass and have money left over for what I could get a new gun of any type for.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Cheif,

There were many days that I carried my snubbie loaded with .38 special and did not feel defenseless. The problem with is is that you soon find yourself trying to hunt rabbits with it and then start thinkin about perhaps adding an older 6" Python to the stable. I got great accuracy with .38 specials loaded down to .22 recoil and noise and hardly ever hunted small game with the .22

Scotty

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlmen,

Good thread, lots of great input.

I carry a lot of different pistols depending on what I am doing, where am I at, temperature, nature of my clothing, etc. The one common denominator to my carry compliment is a much travled smith and wesson model 38 that rides in a Galco ankle glove holster. Load is a heavy lead hollowpoint, factory.

My little smith either serves as the primary gun if I am not wearing a coat of any fashion, or If I have a sport coat or windbreaker, it turns into my second gun.

Wonderful weapon, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Oh well. The jig is up. I went and layed away the little H&R but it was not a 38 special like I thought. It is one of the many 38 S&W caliber. It is a little more punch than my .32 but not much. I layed away an ankle holster with it. 170 bucks tax and all. Can't beat that and I will probably get me a SP101 in .357 down the line or if I find a used Taurus Model 445ss I'll get it. I am done for now though and I am way under budget. Looks like a shipment from Midway the middle of next month for dies and stuff.

·
Banned
15 Posts
carry gun

I carried a pistol professionally for many years. For personal protection the little Glocks are my choice. I use a 26 in 9mm in the summer but sometimes carry a bigger gun in the winter.

The Glocks dont jam or rust, just what you need. I once carried the 26 for a year in Florida heat in an inside holster. The gun fired both magazines without a hitch and no rust was present. It had not been cleaned or wiped off in the whole year.

The Corbon 115 gr ammo does 1260 from the 3in barrel and should do the job.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Tarus in Titanium! Small, lightweight. You can get them in .357 or .44 special. So small and light you can carry them in your pants pocket!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am presently working the bugs out of a Taurus 450 chambered for the lowly .45 Colt ;*)

That little ported barrel realy barks when I touch off a hot CorBon or one of my 255 Cast handloads.

I did not get the Titanium one since I like to have a little bit of weight in my hand and I also heard a rumor that they disliked Cast bullets. I could not afford to shoot it much if I could not push bulk cast bullets out the spout.

I hope to grow as fond of the Taurus .45Colt as I was of my .357

I think it has potential.

Scotty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts