Shooters Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts
Years ago I knew an old guy who said the 375 H&H was the only true all around cartridge, he took his Mark X Mauser to Africa and killed a bunch of plains game with it and also loaded cast bullets to 22lr velocities for squirrel hunting. Not sure he every killed any squirrel with it but he shot elk and deer with it quite successfully. He loaded it down for local game to where the recoil wasn't any worse than regular cartridges used in the US. Nobody ever accused him of being under gunned! Much later I did a very similar thing with the 358 Winchester, one of these days when RJ gets around here he'll be the beneficiary of a plethora of those loads, cast bullets at 450fps to 225gr. nosler partitions at max. 358 winchester has the advantage of being able to shoot pistol bullets, pretty handy for a reloader.

did he hunt in PA?

i know of one guy and he used a 375 h&h too. i don't know what loads he used either. its been about 25-30 years ago, but i remember he said 375 h&h is all he used.

comfort zone fer me goes into two categories, 1. jacketed bullets 2. cast boolits.

1. 257 bob, 250 savage, 25-06 and the like are comfort zone.

2. 30-40 krag or any of the .308" calibers. i want to kill a doe or two with my 7x57 and 145gr fn gc, so caliber is subjective. 35/30 wildcat, 9.3x57, 444 makes me more comfortable!!!! the 500 linebaugh(tc encore with 23" MGM barrel) is the comfortablest!!!!!!

81 - 83 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.