Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about trying out a Sharps for a long time now.  It's something I think I could really get in to doing.  If it's as interesting as it looks I'd like to get a club going here in Alaska.  Well there is a couple already, but the shoots are a 4 hour drive from where I live, so.... Anyway, what cartridge would you guys recommend?  I know the 45/70 is a favorite of everyone, but I'd like something just a little different.  Also, I'd like to try this rifle on moose, caribou and bear.  I was thinking of one of the long 45's or a 50.  Say a 45-2 7/8 or 3 1/4 or a 50 in those lengths.  Anybody got any opinions?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The 45-70 has done it all. When you go longer it gets more expensive. The 45-120 isn't an original Sharps cartridge and can be quite exasperating to get to shoot accurately. With bullet weights available, I'd stay with the 45's and max at the 45-110. Really it boils down to your definition of fun and how big a wallet you carry. I'd sooner stay small and shoot more rounds for my definition of fun.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I agree with you about the 45/70, no doubt about it.  But I guess I'm just not being practical and want something a little different.  I'm leaning hard toward the 45-110.  I guess that's why I'm leaning toward a Sharps type rifle instead of a modern 45/70 like Ruger or Marlin.

I've seen quite a few 40 and 44 caliber Sharps too.  Something like the 40/65 and a 44-90.  I still like the idea of the half inch rounds too.

While I do like to punch paper, I really want to try this out on moose, caribou and bear.  That will be my main interest - hunting.  I saw something in the levergun section about a 50-110, that does peak my interest too.  I know all of these cartridges were used at one time or the other on bison, so figure they will all perform on moose.  Any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts