Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 25 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working uo loads for my new production Winchester(miruko) 1892 in .45 colt. I am using new brass (Win) and 300gr Nosler Partition HG bullets. Powder is Lil' Gun. I noticed that about .35" above the rim is a nice little raised area that extends about 3/4th of the way around the shell case. I am wondering if this is a "pressure bulge" indicating I am to hot in the loading department. I am loading with 19.5 gr of powder up to 23 gr of powder. I checked the velocity of the 21.0 and 21.5 gr loads at 1438 and 1488fps.
Here is why I DON'T think it is a pressure problem but I want to get many more opinions,1)It is on all cases the exact same no matter the charge. 2) it is not a random "round" bulge, but an a very precise inverse Bottle Neck. It looks like the neck on a bottle neck cartridge(.30-06) only it is the other direction. A definite slight angle outwrds and then the rest of the case is that "new"size.
My theory is my chamber is cut poorly, allowing these reletively higher pressure loads to deform to the shape of my sloppy chamber. Comments please.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting. I did resize the new cases with a Redding carbide die. Would recutting the chamber make it uniform? Is it anything to worry about? Do I have to throw the cases away after they have been fired in this rifle chamber? If not I suppose that it will really shorten their reloading life.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going to buy some Cor-Bon and or Buffalo Bore loaded stuff and compare it to my handloads. if they look the same I will be more comforted. I will try some of the masking tape loads also, to see if that centers them up better. Having tape on them seems like it would interfer with cycling and chambering. I will measure some of my fired cases and see what the numbers are.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may have a workable solution to this. Given that both Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore think 1300 fps from a pistol is max, I will load my loads in my Ruger Bisley 5.5" to duplicate these factory loads. Then I will test them out of my Win. '92 and see how they chrono. that will be my hottest load.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another interesting thing I found on chamber cut, my fired cases from the Win. '92 will NOT chamber in my Ruger Bisley, but the fired cases from the Bisley will chamber in the '92.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know how hot my loads will be as far as pressure goes. I do know that Cor-Bon don't you a long barrel to get their velocities. I shoot their 265 gr .41 mag load in my 6.5" Blackhawk. It Chronos at 1400fps. I asked them why I was getting so much more then they published and they said because they used a 4" barrell for development. So I am figuring they used a reletively short barrel to develop their .45 loads. I could be wrong.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Very interesting stuff. Why does Hodgdon say the max .45 loads are 20.2 grs? that only gets 29,800cup and 1203fps from a 7.5" gun? People do much higher then that with lots of different powders. Even factory stuff is plenty hotter then this(Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, Garrett.) I loaded a couple well above 20.2gr. Here is the results.
From my 5.5 in Bisley 23.0gr = 1253fps, 23.5gr=1272, 24.0gr=1337. In my '92(20") I got 23.5gr=1616fps,24.0=1672.
So what makes this amount of powder safe with 110,296 and others but not with Lil' Gun? I got 1175fps from my 5.5" with 21.5gr of Lil' Gun.22.0gr gave 1208fps. I think I will settle around there for my final load.
The recoil from my .41 with the Cor-Bon is stiff. It makes my knuckles hurt. However, I would only use those for hunting. I won't shoot very many.
I still don't understand how The three Factory Custom loaders can get 1300+ from there 6" guns safely but I have to stop at 20.2 gr and 1203fps from a 7.5"(Hodgdon Lil'Gun Load)

1 - 8 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.