Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Just looking for some opinions. I have a Kimber custom 2 that I shoot my own 9MM handloads through. I loaded my last batch with Autocomp and no issues but as soon as I switched over to Alliant Bullseye powder I had 2 out of 32 cases get stuck and not eject at all. Here is as much info as I can give for now.
Case length= .741
Case flare after fired=.379
Mixed head stamp, Case marked USA.
124 GRN CPRN EXtrem bullets
4.0 GR of powder
1.140 COAL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,856 Posts
It failed to extract. Look at the extractor.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That is a Starline case shown stuck, were both failures with Starline brass? Were others, of the 32, that ejected properly Starline headstamp? Some discussion on other forums seem to indicate your load might be a little on the light side (perhaps for your particular Kimber) and it doesn't always (2 times?) fully cycle to battery to engage the ejector. Mixed cases could have different capacities that might contribute to that effect. Did you notice the headstamp on the cases fired just prior to the Starline case(s) that stuck? If you think all that's plausible, try upping your load a couple of tenths and see if the problem goes away. You might also consider a lighter recoil spring for lighter loads (?).
Read this: Is Bullseye powder good for 9mm?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So for starters I'm gonna give the gun a good scrubbing. Most likely hand sort through the cases and see if I can find any short ones with the calipers. And I'll up the charge to 4.2-4.3GNS of power. Thanks for the reply and I'll post back when I get a range day.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Welcome to the Forums, from what I can recall, ancient knowledge, your load could be a little on the light side. That does not explain the failure to extract, per se? I'd take a hard look at the extractor. What JBelk said. Your extractor may need a little tweaking and Mr. Belk is the one to listen too. Best of Luck

·
Premium Member
16,856 Posts
danpzann77-- A good extractor will jerk a chunk out of the rim of a stuck case. I don't see any indication of any extractor effort in your gun. Yes, it might work better if spotless clean, but the lack of marring and scarring of the rim says the extractor needs more grip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy a bore brush set and use the mop dipped in mothers mag and aluminum polish put 1 section of a rod in your hand drill and polish for 20-30 seconds after that clean and lube like normal im willing to bet it wont happen again! I have done several gun chambers this way and never a fail to eject or extract after!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts