Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is concerning the brass lenght after resizing. Anyway the Nosler book shows the case lenght at 2.580. Well I checked after cleaning them (already resized FL) and the brass measured in range 2.575 up to 2.582 with the majority below 2.580. So I checked some new brass I have (10 rds) all except one measured 2.574 the long one was 2.579.
I'm new to reloading and I was just wondering how critical this step is (case triming). And knowing the information provide what would you trim the case to (I can't go up). they are Hornady cases and I measured them with Starrett's (USA) which I checked with a gauge. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
From my experience, everything is normal for case length to vary like you see.

After FL, if the case is too long, it wont chamber. Assuming you set the die up correctly.
I set my FL die up just to the point of hard resistence on the bolt, but will close. Then I turn down the die apprx. one clock hour or a lil less. I forget what this is in inches. The bolt will still close with a lighter crush. Then I measure lengths.

Eventually you will have to trim your cases.
What I would do is one of two things at this point:

1. Trim them all to 2.574 which is your shortest length. You may find cutting them all to that length difficult if you are unfamiliar with your trimmer; meaning you may cut them too short. But work towards it.

2. Not do anything. Load em and shoot. Then check lengths fire formed. If you are going to neck size, now may be the time to trim so they are all uniform in length.

Ive trimmed new brass from the start after FL and I have tried it without trimming letting lengths vary .015 and could never tell a difference on target with hunting loads to be honest.
I dont have a Nosler manual, but I bet it gives a max case length. Go with either your shortest @ 2.574 or with whatever length your manual states as trim length.
At some point you have to trim, so you may as well do it now. A lil short isnt going to hurt anyting.

I use 7mm Rem Mag cases in place of 257 WBY cases because of cost. The 7mm cases if I recall are about .080 short. This is in the neck for the reason of where the shoulder is on the 257 and the initial case length it its original caliber. The load is still capable of putting shots touching each other.

The short and sweet of a uniform case length on all your cases is you will have consistent neck tension on the bullet. But you dont want your case too long. Stick with your manual in regards to trim length and do not exceed max length. Im not getting overly technical here. Others may join in and give more in depth info and so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.