Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carbide case neck trimmer. Typically on my rifle cartridges I clean the brass, clean out the flash hole and primer pocket, cut the brass to size, chamfer and debur. Now I want trim the neck.

The question is how far down the neck to you trim? Just the width of the cutter blade or the whole lenth of the neck? I would think from the mouth down to where the bullet seats but I am guessing at this time. Who out there is an expert case neck trimmer?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,956 Posts
That would be one way to approach it, providing the particular cartridge isn't "short necked" and you have to trim all of it, anyway.

I always seat my bullets a minimum of one caliber diameter deep, regardless of how far off the leades the bullet will be. Must clear the magazine well by about 1/8th inch,also. This means the necks are usually pretty well used down to the top of the shoulder, or maybe just a tad into the shoulder. Also, my cases are partially sized down to where the shoulder is just slightly kissed and there is 1/16th to 3/32nds of neck left unsized so that it makes a snug chamber fit. This helps in centering and headspacing the cartridge properly in the chamber. That means when I outside trim, it is down to the slight bulge left on the neck from being unsized.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts