Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new dillon 223 fl seating die every cartridge is getting stuck feeling a little less then having the same issue with new redding 30-30 die and cartridge. Can someone shed some light removed the coating inside still sticking. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hornady Case Lube. I put on every case to FL size and make sure you are using the correct shell holder and following the instructions that came with the die to a tee. Shouldn't stick!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What brand cases are you using? As others have mentioned, make sure you use a good quality lube off a lube pad before you resize. Follow the instructions that came with the resizing die as to how to adjust it against the shell holder. And yeas, you need to lube the case inside the neck too, preferably using a neck brush with lube.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Brand new dillon 223 fl seating die every cartridge is getting stuck feeling a little less then having the same issue with new redding 30-30 die and cartridge. Can someone shed some light removed the coating inside still sticking. Any help would be appreciated
Are you shore it is not the neck expander ball sticking on the way back out.
I sanded mine down for my 223 die because it was crazy hard to get out .
Ended up just neck neck sizing using a bush .
Unfortunately the bush I want to use is missing from my set and I haven’t got around to getting another one but it is still better than working the brass in and out when it only needs to go in , I think.
If I had the missing bush there would be a tiny bit less Presure when I am seating a projectile.

cheers

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Another vote for imperial die wax. Very little is needed and cases slide in and out of the dies with no effort.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
If cases are sticking, you have bad lube. Either use Imperial Die Wax (Redding now) or common STP engine treatment. THEN, if you stick a case you have a die problem.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,915 Posts
WHAT are you using for lube? If you are using One-Stuck, then you either need to shake the can like it owes you money..... or better yet, throw it away and get something else before you stick a case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i use 10 Alcohol :1 lanolin

Too much trouble. Several years ago I switched to Hornady Unique Case Lube. It costs like $6.00 and has gone thru several thousand rifle cases and is still 3/4ths full. FL size I lube every case outside and every 4th case inside the neck with Q-Tip. Whatever lube you use should be sufficient to stop any sticking. Make sure the die is correctly set up. Side note: I have found that shell holders from different manufacturers have different ride heights. That's why I stick with one manufacturer. Minimal, but different.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If cases are sticking, you have bad lube. Either use Imperial Die Wax (Redding now) or common STP engine treatment. THEN, if you stick a case you have a die problem.
Years ago I used straight STP as a case lube, worked great! Word of caution though, don't get to much on the case. You'll put horrible dent's in the shoulder! There are a lot of good case lubes out there and I strongly suspect which ever one you use, if you follow direction's is going to work well. I have been using Hornady One Shot for more years than I can remember now and have never had a problem. Directions used to say stand the cases up and spray from both side's down at a 45* angle to lube inside the neck also. Is one shot the best? Well for me it is which doesn't mean diddly if someone else like's something else! Most of us use what we've been using for a long time without trouble. There's is no reason to quit using what works for you. With case lube I really believe they all work, just depends on how you use them. I got some of that stuff like a paste to try. Little on your finger's and rub it on a case and your golden. Problem was I was never sure if I got any or enough on a case and didn't want to find out by sticking a case!

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
UNless its under extreme circumstances, a stuck case means 'bad' lube or not enough lube. A clean case in a clean die with proper lube WILL NOT STICK.
PS-- an empty can of STP has enough left in it to last thousands of rounds and is a sure-fire case lube, but messy.
Fred Hunnington gave very strong hints that RCBS case lube (in 1968) was STP without 'the honey look food coloring'.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I suspected STP was the old RCBS case lube ... it was greasy and you rolled it on with a Ink Pad dampened with the stuff ... but a case never got stuck with it .
I had to do some heavy brass reforming and the new case lubes were NOT cutting it...my old bottle of RCBS was totaly used up and out ...But... opened up a bottle of STP and Bingo ...it Did the trick ! Glad STP has a screw on cap now ... the old pull top can wasn't re-close- able .
Gary

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have an old set of Herter's dies in 270. I never really used them as in my Dad's stuff there was also a set of RCBS dies. I broke those old Herter's dies out about 5 years ago and immediately stuck a case. I cleaned them up really good and immediately stuck another. Cleaned them again, changed lubes...you guessed it, I stuck another. I think I learned why my Dad had two sets of FL 270 dies. :D

They are now in my area of shame on my reloading shelf. I think that Lyman may have made them for Herter's back in the day. I figure maybe my Dad did something to bugger them up as Herter's was a great company and probably would have replaced them without issue (unless it was some type of user error).

I recently pulled out a tube of the Lee lube...and really like it. Since the Pandemic, I have had nothing but time, so rubbing on 0.1 gram per case while watching TV is not bad. I just wish I had some emptly brass to reload right now...lol

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Herter's dies were made by C-H. They're mild steel with a thin chrome plating for the 'heat-treat'. Many times they'll 'go bad' in the box.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts