Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Jack,

I've fired volumes of the .225"-60g SPGC bullets out of my various .223's.  They are great fun, and great predator harvesters if you are hide hunting.  My load is this:

.225"-60g SPGC/10.0g Unique/Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers/Federal Brass/2340 fps.

No this isn't a barn burner load for velocity, but I'll tell you what, it will shoot into under a half an inch in two .223's that I own.  The others will group them into about an inch and a quarter.  The key is to seat the bullet to just engage the lands of the throat for best accuracy results.  

I have had mixed results shooting these and other powder combinations in the Ruger Mini 14 with cast bullets.  Although accuracy has been good to excellent (for a mini) with cast bullets, there has been an issue of lead deposited in the gas port.  I've found that the tip cleaners sold for use in oxy-acetylene torches work superbly for removing the lead from gas ports on many gas operated semi-autos.  Not a real big deal unless you are working with a glass bedded national match Garand or something on that order.

Cast in .223's are great fun!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts