Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cast design do you prefer and why?LFN,WFN,WLN,LMN,Kieth,SWC...

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
For handgun I like the Kieth style of bullet. I also shoot a lot of regular swc's also. For large bore rifle I like the WFN.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I used a 44 cal BTB 280 WFN in a muzzle loader on a button buck. It tore up lungs and broke the outer shoulder on its way out. I plan to use more cast bullets hunting in the future.

I think one of the things about the LBT style bullets is that they carry more weight on the outside of the case allowing increased powder charges. That way you can get more velocity from the higher weight bullets for a given caliber and still have safe pressures.

I just ordered some 255 grain RN flat points for low velocity plinking and some 300 grain long flat nose for a higher performance load in a 45 LC lever action.

I bet a lot of game has been taken using SWC and LBT style bullets. Comparing jacketed pistol bullets to hard cast, there isn't as much that can go wrong with hard cast.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use a Keith design(255gr in 45LC) for two reasons, it doesn't have to expand to be effective, and it will penetrate most anything I need it to. I have cast it hard and soft, harder for hunting and use in a Colt Lightning slide action rifle, softer cast for a handgun. It has the best attributes of the other designs and seems to be very versatile in the accuaracy department, in handguns and in rifles. It was developed by one of the best and has stood the test of time.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The LBT bullets designed by Veral Smith all have the same goal - wide meplat, great penetration and maximum effectiveness. For absolute penetration you want the WLN. The different styles are for different guns. Lever guns like certain shapes and revolvers like my new style Vaquero don't like a "nose" length over .375 inches. In the end you will like what your gun likes or requires. In mid weight bullets the SWC and Keith styles are accurate and penetrate well but in a heavy weight you for sure want an LBT design like the ones sold here by Bear Tooth Bullets. There is also issue of your barrel stabalizing some of the heavier bullets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts