Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for about 20 years, but always with jacketed bullets.  After visiting this site it seems that I have been missing something in not reloading cast bullets.  I would appreciate advise on reloading cast bullets, as I have no experience with them.  I currently have a press and dies and sundry other accessories.  What additional equipment will I need to reload cast bullets?  What about lubricating them, and gas-checks?  Thanks

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Oldman:
  You might not need anything if you're using store-bought bullets, since they should come lubed and with gas checks installed if the design requires them. Casting your own is another story.

Seating the bullet is the one tricky part, `cause you can shave lead or otherwise damage the bullet if you don't flare the mouth of the case a bit. Most pistol dies will flare the mouth if you set the expander plug deep enough, but bottle-neck rifle dies won't. You can flare the mouth with a tapered punch from your local hardware store, but many of us use a Lyman M-Die. It has a extra step that enlarges 1/16" - 1/8" of the mouth of the case just enough to start the bullet straight. Most other pistol expander plugs put a trumpet flare on the mouth that isn't near as good. Check the "New to cast bullet loading" thread down in the rifle forum for some more on M-Dies.

Some of the other guys might know a source of cast bullets in Pennslyvania. Shipping costs can get out of hand real quick if you order from somebody on the other side of the country. Just ask me what it's like if you live across the border. Marshall's bullets cost me more than Hornady XTPs bought from a local dealer.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oldman
  Welcom to the world of Castoleers.The first thing I would advise you to do is get a copy of Lyman's CAST BULLET HANDBOOK and a copy of Richard Lee's MODERN RELOADING and a copy of the book put out by BEARTOOTH BULLETS and you will be in good hands
I have been casting bullets since 1946' and I can honestly say these are the best texts you can get.
  If you have any problems or need to ask a question you have come to the BEST site in the world!
  tbc

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You'll know that you've become a dyed in the wool lead bullet shooter when...............
When you go for a walk you walk in the gutter because that's where the wheel weights are.
If you go antiqueing with the bride, you look at the antigue pewter as potential tin souces.
You choose your tire dealer by who gives you his used wheel weights.
You feel the bottom edge of commercial drapes for the lead weight.
You have a ton of ingots made, there is a couple of tons of wheel weights waiting to be cleaned and you gain a bit of security from that knowledge.
The shelves in you loading room are built to hold the 5 or 6 3 lb coffee cans full of 45-250s.
You ponder how to recover all that lead at the range just waiting for you mine the mother load, while sipping your coffee.
There are misc. cast bullets around the house, on the desk, on the dresser, some times in the dryer.
Welcome to the true and rightious path of the cast bullet shooter. These jacketed bullets are a passing fancy, and are for the unimagitive.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts