Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to reloading and just getting set up to start loading for my 336 marlin in 35remington.  I would love to be able to use cast bullets, as it opens up a broad selection of bullets to use other than what is available in jacketed bullets.  I have read that cast bullets are not for the "micro-groove" barrels and others say it doesn't matter, and I really don't know who is right.  I also have not purchased a manual yet, as I am not sure which one will have good information on the particular caliber I am loading.  Have you any suggestions?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
I think what you've heard qualifies as an 'urban myth'... or similar.

.35 Rem being a moderate-pressure cartridge, it would seem logical that 'normal' loadings should work OK, and no special load data needed for cast bullets (not to say that there might be some outstanding cast bullet loads that are not in the manuals).

For a loading manual with a cast-bullet flavor, try Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.

For just a heck of a bunch of information, try Hodgdon #27.

Frankly, you ought to have several load books.  Consider them an investment in your knowledge, and the money you spend in books will be more than made up for in components saved, trust me.

Make sure your Micro-Groove barrel is CLEAN... and I mean really really really clean.

Start off with gas-checked bullets, as these will be more likely to give excellent results with less tinkering.

That's a good start, I think - quality load manuals, gas-checked bullets, and a clean barrel.  Odds are that you'll have success.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Mike,
      I can't speak for the 35 Rem., but my 336A in 30-30 has been totally un-finicky about cast bullets. Any loads that work in my '94 work in the 336. Give it a try!   ID

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike G and ID,  I believe I will try and load up some cast bullets.  I will start looking for those manuals right away.  This is going to be fun!!

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mike,

Your MicroGroove .35 Remington is an excellent candidate for cast bullet loads.  Not just reduced velocity loads either, but full-snort, all business hunting loads as well.  As mentioned earlier, a squeaky clean barrel is the first pre-requisite, followed by bullets sized to .359" when shooting cast.   Stick with gas checked bullets and you'll have not only a great time with your .35 Remington, but excellent shooting as well without the gun being finicky at all!

Those sources saying that cast bullets and MicroGroove barrels don't mix above 1600 fps either don't understand the principles of proper bullet design and bullet fit, or they have never actually tried using them on their own.  The Microgroove barrel rifles that I've used in every instance were outstanding shooters with cast bullets.

Enjoy, and give us a progress report!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts