Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

Whilst looking into cast bullets for the .444 Marlin I have come across many who swear by them as effective game getters, not only accurate but also fantastic penetration with no bullet break up. So convinced am i by all the good things i have heard i shall be feeding my .444p a cast diet.

I have also been struck by the absence of cast bullet enthusiasts in popular smaller bores such as .243,257,6.5mm, 7mm,.308,.30-06 I was wondering why should this be the case ? Is it that cast bullets are better suited to big bores? or simply that there is plenty of cheap ammo around for these smaller more common calibres ?
Can anyone shed any light on this ?
I also have a .308 m-bolt which currently has a diet of jacketed bullets can any anyone suggest a good cast bullet for Deer?

Best wishes from across the pond

ENGLANDER

·
Registered
50 Posts
Englander
  Yes there are quite a lot of castoleers who cast bullets  for 223's, 243's, 7mm, and for 30 caliber.
I happen to be one of them.It seems that a lot of bullet casters have taken up the 444, 45 ,and 45-70 because they are very effective at taking game.
 By the same token a 7mm or an 8 mm and a 30 caliber bullet can be as effective as any of the big boomers
 If you would go to the TECH NOTES here on this site and review the article on quench- annealing you will see how you can make a lead alloy bullet as effective as a copper jacketed bullet.
I have been using this type of bullet for the last 16 or 17 years and I can guarentee you a 180 grn 30 caliber bullet with a muzzle of 2450 to 2500 fps will kill a Rocky Mountain elk at 200 yards tuit suite.
 I have not tried hunting with 243's so, i cant comment on them.

tbc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Englander
 In your .308 try the Lyman #311041 a gas check flat nose 170 grainer. It shoots real well in my 30-30, .308 and 30-06 with either Reloader #7 or any brand of 4895.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello form Scotland

Thanks guys for the info i will have to get round to trying cast bullets in my .308 M-bolt. Over here lead bullets are only fired though Air Rifles !
Most people wouldnt dream of firing cast bullets out of modern firearms and certinally not for hunting.
I must say that this site is a real eye opener!
Do you treat your cast bullets to expand? or do you find this uncessary? Also what type and hardness do you use on smaller calibres such as .308 ?
Every time i log on i learn loads ! but still so much to absorb !

Best regards from across the pond

ENGLANDER

·
Registered
50 Posts
Englander
  As stated in the article from Tech Notes, with a lead- antimony  alloy of 2%(wheel weight+ lead) you will get 22-24bhn on the back or the area where the grease grooves are and 8.9 bhn on the nose.The bhn 's will stay at these values for over a year or more so you needn't worry about them changeing. I know that this seems revolutionary and it probably is , but trust me and make up a batch and you will be well rewarded.
  Like I said ,I have been using this type of bullet for 16-17years out here in the Rocky Mts. and I have had phenominal success with them.I,too,Use 4895 powder
  Veral Smith told me to load my 30-06 up to 2600 fps, but after fireing a clip or two ,I decided to cut back to 2450to 2500fps.These loads will kill any animal on the North Amrican Continent. Infact in 1989 I shot and killed an Oryx down at White Sands Missile Range. The Oryx was one of a herd imported inthe 1960's by our then governor ,Tom Bullock.

We are adventurous souls out here in the west.
  tbc.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Englander

Dont forget paper patch bullets for your .308
I use the NEI #37, a 162 gr. cast paper patch bullet in the .307 and .308 Winchesters. These are butter soft, may be driven at any jacketed bullet velocity and have very nearly the same accuracy potential.
My wife says I can be quite boring about paper patch bullets.

Join the Cast Bullet Association, (see the web site) they have a by-monthly magazine "The Fouling Shot". Lots of good information. Check out the back issues.

Join the Yahoo Groups cast bullet list. CB-L. Check out the archives. Lots of interesting articles.

Go to http://yarchive.net/gun/index.html  look for postings by Mr. Norman Johnson. If you have a question, Mr. Johnson knows the answer. He is active on the CB-L.

Thanks for the interesting post on your hunting activities and laws. MikeG's reply about sums our hunting in Texas. We have lots of small game. Racoons, Fox, Bobcat and coyotes. Plenty of low to medium velocity cast bullet shooting. Also lots of wild turkey. The .25-20, .32-20 and the .22 Hornet are very popular here.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I can add some support for both the Lyman#311041 bullet and for paper patched bullets.
My hunting bullet is paper patched,and has the profile of that Lyman bullet.
It got me a one shot kill on a 5 pointer with my 30/30,this past Fall.
Frank

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I can add some support for both the Lyman#311041 bullet and for paper patched bullets.
My hunting bullet is paper patched,and has the profile of that Lyman bullet.
It got me a one shot kill on a 5 pointer with my 30/30,this past Fall.
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts