Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try to come up with an accurate, low powered cast bullet load for a T/C carbine. I really enjoy this little gun and would like to use it for small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc.) without a lot of meat damage. What bullet weight and diameter would work best. Shots would be at 50 yards or less.  Also, any general advice on loading the Hornet will be much appreciated. I'm just getting started loading for it.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Dear Blueridge,

The .22 W.C.F. (Winchester Center Fire) of 1885 was a fine small game round which fired a 45 gr. lead bullet at 1500 f.p.s. using 13 grs. of black powder.  

In the early 1930's,  experimenters loaded the .22 W.C.F. cartridge case  with smokeless powder and jacketed bullets and the .22 Hornet was born.

A good smokeless powder load for turning the .22 Hornet back into a .22 W.C.F. is  3.3 grs. of W231 powder with any small pistol primer behind a 45 grain cast bullet.  This load does 1,565 f.p.s. in my '43 WInchester and shoots under 3/4" at 50 yards  if I do my part.  For a little less velocity, drop the charge back to 3 grains.

Most guns chambered for the .22 Hornet have 1 in 16" twists and will not stabilize cast bullets very well that weigh over 50 grs. at 1500 f.p.s. Better yet, stick to bullets in the 45 grain weight.

Good luck,
John

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Blueridge,

We do offer a bullet for the .22 Hornet, although it isn't cataloged on our shopping cart, simply because it isn't an LBT design.   The bullet is 46 grains RN gas-checked, and can be sized .223",.224", or .225"

Just email us for details... it's a great bullet for the Hornet!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts