Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows .I have a 35 rem and a 44 rem mag . I am going to start casting bullets for these two calibers .I am wondering how they compair to jacketed bullets of the same grain weight as for as on game performance. Dos valocity between to the two play that big of a roll in the out come with bullet placement being #1. Thanks in advance for any suggestions .                                                                                                                  Chopper#1

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,448 Posts
The key factor on game performance is the nose shape.  Bigger (wider) meplat makes a bigger hole.  While velocity helps, it isn't all that necessary.

Last deer I shot was with a .44 handgun, with Marshall's 280gr WFNGC (wide flat nose gas check).  The meplat is about 0.340" or so, and I got a wound channel of between 1.5" - 2" at handgun velocities.  If you crank up the velocity in a rifle this would be devastating.

Even in .35 cal you will get a pretty good hole, with the right nose shape.  Just remember, "wider is better," like the car commercials say!

·
Registered
31 Posts
chopper#1
  If you will go to Tech Notes and scroll down to the archives and go to QUENCH ANNEALING: A PROCESS FOR SOFT NOSED CAST BULLETS, you will find a good way to make a hunting bullet that is second to none and is accurate up to the highest velocity of any copper jacketed bullet your guns can handle. I've been using these type of bullets for the past 16-17 years. They can ,will and have killed bull elk ,mule deer and an oryx(a large south African antilope) up to 200 yards.
tbc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike . Thanks for the advice mike helps take the worry out. Ihave been huntin for a lot of  years and have takin more then my shar of game but not with centre fire cartrages useing cast bullets . I like that one shot kill if i can get it. Cast my own black powder bullets and they have allways done the job. In fact the deer I have shot with the muzzle loader go down the instant I pull the trigger.Iknow your right velocity is not the real factor here .Bigger  wider and heavyer seems to be the key to putting game down in a hurry along with bullet placement. Thanks again for the advice and prompt repley.                                                                                     Chopper#1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts