Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you other guys ever loaded and shot cast bullets through your tc? I have been doing it for yrs. beartooth bullets are the finest I ever shot and loaded. However I have shot other brands of cast bullets with better than reasonable proficiency. but beartooth bullets keep a cleaner barrel with very little to no leading. I like the 300 grain bullets with both lil' gun or h110 . H 110 being the dirtier of the two .But more inherentlyaccuurate I have seen from experience. However I dont like real?hot loads one of my favorites is h110 with 28.5 grains and also 27.5 grains of hodgons lil' gun. both excellennt loads . how about some feed back fellas .thanks Stan

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Stan,

I shoot cast through my TC Contenders in .357 and .41 Mags. Just got a Ranch Dog mold for the .41 for a 260 cast bullet. Haven't used it yet as I'm still down range.

CD

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes I've shot the .30-30, .41 mag and .44 mag with cast bullets in a Contender. Also a .32 H&R mag for silhouette shooting. 265 grain .44 mag kick a little, but are easily handled
I got deer with the first three, but the H&R round is too light for sport hunting.

Regards,
Gene

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
In addition to the usual pistol barrel usage also use lead bullets in both a 30 & 357 Herrett barrels. Recently traded a 45-70 barrel for a 10mm Auto barrel which also shot lead bullets. Taken several deer with the 30 Herrett and look forward to doing the same with the 357 Herrett this fall's deer season.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cast bullets through my Contender barrels:

.25-25 WCF
.30 Herrett (two of them)
.30 Carbine (two of them)
.30-20 WCF
.300 Savage
.35 Remington
.45 ACP
.45 LC (three of them)
.45-70 Govt

Most have been cast myself in LBT moulds, some in RCBS moulds, a few in Lee moulds. I normally used WW with 2% tin added. Lube was LBT Magnum or Blue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a custom mould that Veral Smith made to my chamber cast .357 mag 180gr LFN most accurate bullet I have ever shot out of this barrel. Shot it for years in NRA hunter pistol matches with a 2X scope will hold 5 shot group at 1" at 100 meters need to push it at least 1200 fps and have pushed it to 1600 fps with no problems.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Used to shoot benchrest iron sight pistol with the Cast Bullet Association. I used the Lee 120 grain RNGC .30 cal bullet and 8.5 grains of Unique in a ten inch .30-30 barrel. I won with that rig a few times. Very low SD. Shot for score, not group size.
Gotta try Trail Boss one of these days; it wasn't available then.
Pete

·
Registered
125 Posts
BTW I should have mentioned that it is very important that your cast bullet fills the throat of your barrel my bullets for my .357 mag come out of the mould at .360 I size at .360 just to seat the gas check ,lube and make them round.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use cast wheel weight bullets in my TC Contender. 44 Mag uses 300 and 240 gr Lyman. 357 Maximum uses RCBS 200 Gr FN. 357 Magnum uses 200 gr fn and 158 gr SWC Lyman. No problems with leading and all good accuracy with my loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts