Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows. I have a 35 rem caliber in a Marlin rifle and a 44 rem mag in a 1894 Marlin rifle.. I am going tp load cast bullets for these two rifles and was wondering if I need to add gas checks to these or can I shoot these with out the checks .Any advice that anyone has on this topic would be appreciated. thank you in advance .                                                                                                                                                  chopper#1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chopper # 1
  Congratulation on your decision to use cast bullets in your rifles.
   As an old garrolous cast bulleteer, I' say to begin with ,I'd use gas checks.They will keep your chances of leading your barrell to a minimum,
  You can use cast bullets without gas checks, but you have to keep the velocity down to 1450-1500 fps. I shoot all my 30-30 cowboy silhouette matches without gas checks. I have been shooting jackrabbits this way for the past 56 years
   I'd also advise you to use wheel weights for alloy ,size your bullets 0.001-0.002 larger than the groove diameter, heat treat them in an oven to get 22-24 bhn and load them up to what ever you bullet guide says to.About 16-17 years ago Veral Smith told me to load my -06 up to full power using this type of cast bullet(heat treated). I've had the greatest success with them . Have never used a copper jacketed bullet since
  If you want my advice on how to make a bullet with a back end of 22-24bhn and a nose of 8.89
(thats like abhn of 2% antimony) , just ask.
  tbc

tbc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again Caster. Now thats a fast repley. Have lot s of wheel weights as my Dad and I operated a garage for some 40 years.Been saveing them all this time.We have been out of the buss for about 15 years now though.Have a friend thats looking intosome gas checks and a bullet sizer at this moment. Will also give your suggestions a try thanks again buddy your a world of knowlodge. Many thanks again.        Chopper#1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts