Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so thanks for letting ask my question.  I have a Winchester 94 AE carbine in a 7-30 Waters.  After owning it for ten years I decided to use it on a hunt last fall an was able to harvest 3 deer with it shooting 120 grain Nosler boattail flatpoints.  Has so much fun shooting a lever gun with peep sights.  Anyway, my buddy I was hunting with was shooting a cast bullet from his 35 Remington (Marlin 336) and scored on a very nice buck.

I was so impressed with how his cast bullet performed that I would like to load my lever gun with a cast bullet and harvest my deer this way  upcoming fall.  

Can anyone recommend a cast bullet that is commercially made that would work in my 7-30 Waters?  The only bullet mold available with a flat point is from sacceo/redding.  The bullet design appears t o have a long bearing surface causing it to be seated well below the base of the neck into the case  Would prefer a bullet that will be seated close to the base of the neck.   I really don't wan't to have to spend money on a custom mold.

Will  the 140 grain beartooth long flat nose work well in my gun or are there other bullets more suitable for my needs?

Thanks

7-30 Waters

·
Registered
204 Posts
7-30 Waters-

Glad to see you over here at the Beartooth forums! Just thought I'd get your thread back up to the top as I too am interested in trying this bullet when I build my 7-30 Waters carbine.

Has anybody tried this bullet in either the 7-30 Waters or the 7mm STE?

Marshall, any records in your notes?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
This is only one guy's opinion but I think you should stick to those excellent Noslers in your 7-30 and pass on cast slugs for anything but reduced small game loads. Please see the thread "Marlin 356 is Outta Here. Maybe." for details on how the .30 WCF with cast slugs can miserably fail on deer. I think that the smaller .284" bullet would only make it worse, unless you cast softnose projectiles. That's a real drag in time and effort for results that won't be any better in the real world than what you've already seen with the Nosler 120's. I personally think your friend's .35 Remington is the minimum for good deer hunting results using cast bullets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
7-30 cast

I am presently working with the Beartooth 140 grain in a 24" 94 winchester. So far 33 grains of VV 140 shoots pretty good. That load also shoots the same point of impact at 100 yards as my 139 Hornady load with 36 grains of VV140. The Beartooth bullet REALLY puffs a coyote, as far as big game? Hmmmmm. Let me run around the hills of northwest Wyoming and I'll let you know.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
We've quite a number of customers shooting our 7mm-140g LFNGC bullet in their 7-30 Waters carbines, with good reports of accuracy and velocities attained (I don't own one, so I can't report first hand) also several reports of deer kills using the bullet/cartridge combination using the annealled nose bullets as described in the tip http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/21

Reported results were complete penetration on broadside and quartering shots on medium sized white-tails with wound channels similar to jacketed bullets, but without the bloodshot meat surrounding wound channel.

I hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts