Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a 300hp-xtp over 30.6gr of h110 with  accurate results but  was thinking of switching to a cast bullet. I need opinions on this does cast  have better nock down power on say black bear, hogs and dear or am I better of with the hollow point. If cast is better I am looking for a starting point for my FA 454 CASULL.
325 GR?
355 GR?
36O GR?
H110?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Hey Mike, have you shot any critters with the hollowpoint bullets yet?  If so, how did it work out?

Cast works great, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have thumped a couple of pigs with a 335gr. WFNGC in the .45 Colt and it worked great, so your Casull should be just dandy with cast also.

(Edited by MikeG at 10:36 pm on Dec. 20, 2001)

·
Banned
30 Posts
Mike C
Have used them. Your jacketed hollow point will do lot's of damage for deer sized game, but if you are considering bear, or anything big where penetration is valued, the hard cast heavy bullet is unbeatable. In my old Casull, I used up to 400 grains. However I did find that anything above about 350 grains and you lose bullet stability and thereby penetration. The bullet tumbles in the animal. The 340 grain I use is amazing. It's a LBT design and penetrates forever. A jacketed bullet will not come close. Soooo, depends on what you gunna shoot. The jacketed hollow point will drop a little deer faster then the heavy hard cast, BUT, I would not hesitate to shoot a deer from stem to sterm with the hard cast. Where as I would stay with a broad side shot with the jacketed. Note: a heavily loaded .45 Colt with a 340 grain hard cast will shoot through both shoulders of a cape buffalo. Don't try it with a jacketed bullet! Also, not all cast bullets are created equal. They must be hard however, not to the point of being brittle. To test this, take the bullet and pound it with a hammer on something hard like concrete or an anvil. A good bullet will mushroom out when you beat it to death, but not split or fragment.Good shootin' D Wright

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
MIKE C
Dito what the other's have said - If it works for what your hunting don't change. I as well shoot the 300gr XTP/Mag out of my 454 SRH and Puma- very accurate in both-but they are exspensive to practice with! :( So for practice and hunting as well I use 300gr WFNGC. Shoots just as accurate as the XTP's but a heck of allot cheaper. :) I use 30.5 gr H110 for bought
XTP's and cast bullet, get 1625 and 1670 fps out of my SRH
In my Puma they run 1995 and 2085fps respectively!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts