Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a 300hp-xtp over 30.6gr of h110 with  accurate results but  was thinking of switching to a cast bullet. I need opinions on this does cast  have better nock down power on say black bear, hogs and dear or am I better of with the hollow point. If cast is better I am looking for a starting point for my FA 454 CASULL.
325 GR?
355 GR?
36O GR?
H110?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mike:

In a hunting bullet cast offers several advantages over the hollowpoint.

First and foremost is penetration. That means the ability to reach the vitals regardless of the presentation (broadside, quartering, rump etc.).Penetration also means an exit wound that aids in tracking. The hollowpoint is designed to expand, dump energy and halt quickly. The result COULD be a nasty and painful flesh wound that cripples the game without killing it.

Second, a cast bullet of proper hardness and construction will hold together to deliver a bone breaking punch resulting in cleaner kills and anchoring the animal quickly.

Third, cast bullets can be driven to somewhat higher velocities due to the increased lubricity of the lead alloy as compared to jacket metal.

Accuracy in cast as compared to hollowpoint are equivalent in my experience. Just be sure to get the proper diameter bullet for your gun. This is more an issue in cast bullets than jacketed.

The Hornady XTP is a terrific bullet but I think it's more appropriate with lighter, thin skinned game or as a defensive round.

For load data try clicking on loadswap. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Mike,
There is a little load data just down this page under the title of "454 Data". Hope this helps and good luck.
Jack K.

·
Banned
50 Posts
The 300XTP mag from hornady is rated to 2000fps, so pushing it along at 454casull velocities will still give you good penetration. However, the xtp is designed to expand, a hardcast lead slug of equal weight will penetrate more since it is not.  I have a raging bull in 454casull and I shoot 370 and 405g hardcast bullets out of it. If your going for penetration, the hardcast bullets are the way to go. doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts