Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have visited this forum previously and have gotten a lot of useful advise.  However, I have not as yet shot cast bullets in either handguns or rifles.  Since this site is primarily for cast bullets, I wonder if someone could explain the advantages of using cast bullets rather than copper jacketed bullets.  It doesn't appear to be the cost of one over the other, as the prices seem comparable.  What then is the advantage?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
DGR,
     In terms of handguns the biggest advantage to cast bullets is more reliable hunting performance. The wide metplat hard cast bullets penetrate better than jacketed bullets and still create a deadly wound channel. Since you don't rely on the bullet to "change" in a certain way each time in order to perform, there is little to go wrong.
     As far as rifle bullets, you can get them in bulk MUCH cheaper than jacketed (at least in thirty caliber) if you search around. You can use them as I do for year-round practice in lower pressure loadings that do not eat up your rifle throat like full-pressure loadings. And if you desire, you can use them for hunting with the proper loadings too.
       I just think that the cast bullets offer a different range of applications than jacketed bullets.                    IDShooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,439 Posts
Good answers.... here's my perspective:

Advantages of cast:
- Less barrel wear, even with full power loads.
- More appropriate for reduced loads, less likely to stick a bullet in the bore due to reduced friction and being able to vary size for best gas seal.
- Often, more velocity in handguns, due both to lower friction and designs which give more case capacity
- Good selection of hunting designs (which could be had in jacketed if the manufacturers wished)
- Potential to exactly match bullet to gun dimension, may give better accuracy

Disadvantages:
- Possible lead fouling (probably still easier to deal with than copper fouling)
- Sometimes, more difficult to find exact load data.  Take half a dozen cast bullet designs, all of the same weight and caliber, and you might find that the exact powder charges to reach a given velocity will vary quite a bit.
- Lots of cast bullets aren't worth much.  Good ones take some work to find.  Need the right alloy, hardness, lube, sizing, etc.
- Less friction means less case neck tension, sometimes bullets jump crimp in hard-recoiling handguns.

And as ID said, they are great critter-getters!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Since I cast all of my own bullets for those that I shoot cast bullets in, I can shoot my rifles and pistols for next to nothing!
My lead alloy costs me nothing.
I can create a bullet to my exact preferences.
Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cast bullets just add one more aspect of knowledge to shooting and hand loading.  I have always found casting to be relaxing, checking and lubing a pain, and extra expansion of necks on rifle ctgs. to be a necessary extra step.  Cast in handguns is cheaper by a long shot, shoot as well as jacketed to equal or better vol., and the big flat noses of heavy will match the expander jacketed or beat them.  In rifles they are a challange.  The larger the cal. the easier (in my experiance at least) it is to find a super accurate load particularly over 2400. 30 to 45 cal not overly difficult to come up with good accurate loads in a varity of volocities.  22 to less than 30 is another story. 22's are a challange, but well worth working with.  Am yet to get a 6mm. to shoot to my satisfaction, had decent luck with 277, and decent groups at reasonable vol. with 7mm even in Rem Mag.  Need to try 6.5mm, but have yet to order the mold(s).
Good Luck,

Paul in Omaha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts