Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate any research into bore size and recommended Beartooth bullets for the new jap Win '92 .44 mag (same as B-92?) that anyone can provide.  Any pet loads for same would be appreciated.  

Use will be hogs and eastern whitetails.  (Lots of practice/plinking with light loads the rest of the year, too.)

Regards,

Charlie

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a 265 wfngc with 23 grains of lilgun. So far it's the only bullet I've found that will feed that weighs over 250.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Slug that barrel!  Only way to know what it'll shoot well with.  Find some cheap soft lead fishing sinkers, squirk a little WD-40 down the bore, and tap it through and measure the diameter with a good set of calipers or micrometer.  Order bullets 0.001" or so larger than your slug comes out.

As far as what will feed, that's always an interesting exercise.  Some guns are friendlier than others, and some you have to tinker with the OAL a little.  LFNs would probably be the smoothest feeding profile.

If you want a heavy bullet that can be loaded to standard OAL, try the 280 gr. WFN.  It can be loaded to an OAL of around 1.610" or so which is right on spec.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike and Moose.  

Yea, I'll slug it.  I'm lazy.  The Marlin guys know to use .432s in the latest guns.  I trolling for a tip.

This is a bore and feed question.  The feed question looks like trial and error.  It's funny moose, I've heard that some can handle the 280s and 250s, but not the 265(?).  I'll try them all.

Thanks, I get the rifle tomorrow.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Charlie Z,

Most of those Jap made 92's in .44 Mag have .431+" bores with huge throats (.433+")  In every instance .432" pills have shot superbly from the reports we've received over the years.  The WFN's will feed without a hitch, but moving to the LFN's will probably dictate doing some action work to make them feed.

The 265's, 280's and 300's in gas-checked WFN profile will perform superbly in your slick little lever gun.

Let us know what you find!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just placed an online order for 100 of each...

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Charlie,

Many thanks!  

You'll be amazed at the accurracy potential of that little lever gun!  Addicting to shoot too!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts