Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have it done Wed. morning. Any of you guys still shoot 30.06 from the bench that have had a lens implant done? Has anyone had one jar lose? I guess I will pad things a bit and keep shooting. I just thought I may get some experiences from you guys.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
I am 58 and dad is a “bit” older. Dad had both eyes done and now drives without glasses - drives me crazy!
Dad shoots hot 45-70’s, 500-grain black powder 45-70’s and the 260 Remington and 6.5 X 55. One of my brothers made the mistake of leaving his Winchester 375 H&H with me for a year or so. Dad and I shot all of his ammo and loaded quite a bit for this rifle, we had a good time.

Some of the heavy rifles will give me a recoil headache - dad too, but he has never had an eye problem from recoil.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Been there done that

I have a lens in my right eye and had lasik to both eyes. I no longer need glasses and shoot rifles, shotguns and handguns. The lens once properly placed will not move unless you are in the midst of an earthquake. Good luck. The results are impressive. All the best...
Gil

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,141 Posts
Nope - had the right eye fixed years ago and have shot some pretty heavy loads. No problems to date. Good luck, Chief.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh, I'd give it a few weeks to heal first though. I had both eyes done and satisfied myself with shooting my .22 rimfires for a couple months. Then I went back to my .375 with no problems. LET IT HEAL.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. That is exactly the report I was hoping for. I will give it till April 1 but I hope the 12 gauge will bark that day.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have had both eyes gone a few years ago. One needs to be careful and let things heal at first , butcome fall bring out the 50 Gibbs if that is what you got .
Sunglass's that are dark and wrap about the face are in order at first , but you will enjoy not having need of the glass's at all. I do wear a pair for reading, but in four years it's been and that is all. Look forward to the change.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had cataract surgery on both eyes two years ago when I was 50. A common comment was, "Aren't you a little young for cataract surgey?"

Well, yes. But the effects was nearly immediate. Better vision at a distance and better driving vision at night. I could see the front sights of my revolvers and open-sighted rifles.

I asked the eye surgeon the same question, and he said to avoid a direct blow to the eye. His best advice: Stay out of bar fights. Never had to worry about that.

I think a sharp blow to the head, as from a scope on a visious recoiling rifle would not be good for your eyes either.

Take care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fake lens

I know this is a bit late. Had lens replaced in both eyes 5 years ago. Can see great. Am 66 yoa and have been a karate practitioner since 20. shoot everything from 22 rimfire to 50bmg rifles. I have had no problem. Maybe just fortunate.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've had lense implants in both eyes, no problems with any rifle I've fired since. Biggest I have is a .35 Whelen, for what it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
13,451 Posts
My dad (be 90 this year) had both eyes done a couple years ago. I recall it was a bit over a month before his really cleared, but his age is a factor. Takes time. After about a year he had some fogging occur and a follow-up procedure with a laser of some kind was needed to clear that. Apparently that's not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well give things a chance my friend, and don't strain the eye .
That means let it heal for awhile and leave the guns be!!
I had both eyes done a month apart in the spring time a few years ago . By late summer I was shooting , but left the big bore where it was 'til the following year .

You just got one set of eye's .The wait now is sure going to be worth it .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts