Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nice little 527 in 17 Hornet. Yes you read correctly, 17 Hornet

Came with dies, brass, bullets and shell holder. It's a GORGEOUS little rifle. Mini Mauser? Nooo, more like a mini 1917 Enfield.

When I get to shoot it I'll fill you in on that too.

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Now I'm jealous!!
A mini Mauser for sure. (A P-17 is a Mauser with a thyroid problem.) ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
Looking forward to getting more of the details of that superb rifle. Well done! All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
RJ, mark me down as another with gun lust jealousy!

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
I assume you're going to K that Hornet? Never mind! I seen a nice 25 deg shoulder. That makes me curious about the K version sold by Kimber or Oregon.

I'm glad to see you got the Circassian walnunt stock. Most of it is chair-leg (straight) grained but better than anything used in this country for 75 years. There is also a great example of a 'guitar finish', in that it cures with UV in literally seconds, and with a slight stain and dulling agent that 'muddies' the grain and takes away the hologram look.

The one on the right is 'oil' finished with the top coat just wiped on. The one on the left is late '80s factory that my gunshop partner 'messed with' and I don't know how.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I assume you're going to K that Hornet? Never mind! I seen a nice 25 deg shoulder. That makes me curious about the K version sold by Kimber or Oregon.

I'm glad to see you got the Circassian walnunt stock. Most of it is chair-leg (straight) grained but better than anything used in this country for 75 years. There is also a great example of a 'guitar finish', in that it cures with UV in literally seconds, and with a slight stain and dulling agent that 'muddies' the grain and takes away the hologram look.

The one on the right is 'oil' finished with the top coat just wiped on. The one on the left is late '80s factory that my gunshop partner 'messed with' and I don't know how.
The CZ is the 17 Hornady Hornet, which is nearly identical to the wildcat 17 Ackley Hornet that has been around for years. Hornady made theirs so you can't use the Hornady brass in the Ackley.

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CZ is the 17 Hornady Hornet, which is nearly identical to the wildcat 17 Ackley Hornet that has been around for years. Hornady made theirs so you can't use the Hornady brass in the Ackley.
Not sure about that, there's only one kind of 17 Hornet dies and nothing is said if it's Ackley or otherwise.

All's I know, it'll be cheaper and waaaay better than an 17HMR or the 17WSM.

RJ

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
SAAMI has the skinny on it. I have an old 17 Ackley Hornet reamer that is close but not identical to the SAAMI version. I notice they trimmed .050 from the case length. 1,350 vs 1.390. The Ackley is 1.375.
That could be something that has to be dealt with if necking down and fireforming Hornet brass. A chamber cast is easy (but messy) and the case ahead of the rim is easy to measure directly. The rim is .062 nominally.

The best group I've ever shot from a factory rifle was three factory Hornets through a brand new CZ-527 Hornet that had just been K'ed and tuned, bedded, crowned and adjusted. It put three into .095 @100yards with the customer as a witness. I quit of course and delivered him his rifle!

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure about that, there's only one kind of 17 Hornet dies and nothing is said if it's Ackley or otherwise.

All's I know, it'll be cheaper and waaaay better than an 17HMR or the 17WSM.

RJ
Just check the small caliber sites. The Ackley dies have been available for many years, but by special order. The Hornady 17 Hornet dies are available over the counter, but only for the last few years since it's introduction, as Hornady got it SAAMI approved. If you have just discovered the 17 Hornady Hornet & don't know about the 17 Ackely Hornet you are way behind the curve as far as small cals go. The Ackley version & the new Hornady version are VERY close, but not interchangable.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
I scratched my 17 caliber itch when Ross Seyfried was having fun with a Mach IV in the mid '80s. I built one too, (on a Sako Rhimakii action and stock) but didn't like the noise or the fouling and turned it into a Fireball after less than fifty rounds. The Fireball has thousands of rounds through it and still one of my all-time favorite light varmint rifles.
Here's were we need a Ken Howell intervention of a reference drawing. I don't understand the .050 shorter case in the factory version.....

·
Registered
465 Posts
I scratched my 17 caliber itch when Ross Seyfried was having fun with a Mach IV in the mid '80s. I built one too, (on a Sako Rhimakii action and stock) but didn't like the noise or the fouling and turned it into a Fireball after less than fifty rounds. The Fireball has thousands of rounds through it and still one of my all-time favorite light varmint rifles.
Here's were we need a Ken Howell intervention of a reference drawing. I don't understand the .050 shorter case in the factory version.....
I have a 221 fireball built on a Sako L46 action as well. Shilen #5 barrel, custom stocked. My favorite varmint rifle until I built a 20 Vartarg on a J.C. Higgins Model 52, which is a Sako L46 action. The Vartarg is nothing more than a Fireball necked down to 20 cal, but it is phenomenally more than one would expect. I have 2000+ rounds through one & no signs of fatigue. I don't care for the 17's either. Too many "issues" that anybody that shoots them will soon learn.

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I guess I've got something to learn then. Like I did with my circa 1978 788 in .223 which has over 10,000 rounds through it and still shoots under 1/2 moa.

I'm sure I'll figure it out 😉

RJ

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whether it's a "Hornady Hornet" or an Ackley makes no nevermind as long as brass and bullets are plentiful for no more than I will probably shoot it.

Mostly for gophers off the deck and the occasional feathered vermin. I'm sure it will go out and kill pdogs, but there's six other rifles for that.

RJ

Reactions: JBelk

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
We shoot a lot of the same varmints and I'm anxious to hear of results. a 17gr. HP at Swift speeds has to be a 'splatter factor' rifle.
Look at that crown REAL close. Most CZs have a little chatter and they benefit greatly with a light lapping.

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gunter was very impressed with the accuracy of this one which means a lot as he's worse than me when it comes to accuracy and tinkering.

RJ

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I'm laid up for a couple days with a "broken foot", well it ain't really broke, but feels like it ought to be, I'm messing around in the gunroom prepping "Connie" and making my first ever 17 Hornets.

Connie's muzzle looks fine I think.

As does her bore after some cleaning with Shooters Choice and a bore snake.

In a bit I'll hobble out to the picnic table and see how I did.

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Cute little buggers. Look like 6mm Swifts when there's no scale to compare to.

This would be a great time for a simple experiment..... shoot it as is and then lap that crown and compare. I don't have a 20X eyeball on that muzzle, but I've seen a bunch like it (but not polished), who did that?

·
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cute little buggers.
Yes they are, not as big a pain as I thought they'd be though. Just hafta go slow.

l've seen a bunch like it (but not polished), who did that?
I did with 0000 steel wool trying to "hook" the steel wool on any snags that might be around the bore.

Daggum foot is really talking to me now 😠

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Well, get you hind hoof healed up and do some shooting! This morning, when it was calm, I was driving tee post. Now that I want to sit down and shoot a while, the wind is trying to turn sage brush into tumble weeds. I guess I'd better stretch wire now in case its calm tomorrow morning.
I wonder if a 20 grain bullet can be heard hitting the plate at 400? There's a surprising difference in 'whop' between a 70gr 6mm and a 40 gr 221 Fireball for sure. I'm not sure a 17 can be heard. Does it scar the paint? I might have to find out.
I've located your rifle's litter mate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts