Shooters Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Doesn't matter to me if I can hear the splat, it's already drawn blood at 100 yds on a gopher with one of my reloads before I even got a chance to shoot for group.

Sweet!!

RJ

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I also had to "amend" my Dad's powder funnel using a204 Ruger case to get powder in the teeny cases.

Not particularly pretty, but effective.

RJ

Reactions: shooter444

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Looks like a toilet plunger to me!
;)

Reactions: recoil junky

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I am looking forward to trying out a 17 hornet.
For a while I have been thinking it would of been a lot better choice over the 17 wsm, I just have to keep reminding myself I wasn’t reloading when I Baught the 17 wsm.
Going by the results of the 17 wsm it has to be impressive.

Message sent from an envious gentleman.

cheers.

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I hope to get it on paper this weekend even though it's proven its accuracy already out to 100 yards on ground squirrels. The smallest group is best.

RJ

·
The Shadow
7,692 Posts
I also had to "amend" my Dad's powder funnel using a204 Ruger case to get powder in the teeny cases.

RJ
That's funny, I used a 223 WSSM as a funnel to be able to get my PPM to work loading my 204.:D

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got to shoot this morning and as normal the wind came up just as I was sitting down but I got an idea of this load.

There was a light breeze from say 10:00 and a gust every few seconds. As you can see I didn't time it very well. Boy, those little 20 grain bullets sure do float!!

If wind permits I'll gave another go a bit earlier tomorrow.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Found the same result shooting the 17 HMR at 100 yds in cross winds of 5 MPH or greater. That's when its time to pack up this one and haul out a heavier chambering.

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yup, some where between the .222 Rem and 45-70 depending on wind speed and distance.

Thus 40 grain Vmax at .222 speeds (3300 ,fps) seems much less affected than the 20 grain bullet for the obvious reasons.

As the Hornet is primarily for "around the house vermin" I still want to develop the smallest group possible.

I find the "report" to be like that of a 22 WMR, which is "acceptable" to the in house noise police, which means no warning is needed before firing.

RJ

Reactions: kdub and Darkker

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
While working up loads today I came across something I've only read/heard about but never encountered, loose primer pockets. Three of 30 were deemed too loose and were mashed with pliers. Pity because they were new brass but loaded only five times. The load that sent them "over the edge" was using H110 and showed promise in the accuracy department. Soooo, I guess I'll stick with Lil' Gun, but still want to try RL7 and 2400.

There was soot all around the primer pocket and when I seated primers in them they promptly fell back out jamming up my Autoprime and of course those ended up on the floor and disappeared . . . . . . .

50 yard groups (on account of the wind) were quite promising with Lil' Gun and 20 grain Vmax's shooting almost to the same POA as the factory Hornady 20 grain Vmax load that "came with" the rifle. Accuracy started to slip after 40 rounds which may or may not improve as the barrel "breaks in".

After "honing" the neck sizing button a bit to improve neck tension I was able to eliminate the use of the factory crimp die making less of a RPITA to load these itty bitty cartridges with clumsy arthritic fingers. 222's will seem like 30-06's after this.

RJ

·
Registered
262 Posts
17 Hornet infection,.... seems to be going around. ;)

Just talking with a shooting budd about my interest in getting a CZ 527 Lux in 22 Hornet, when he related his latest affliction for a 17Hornet in the same rifle.

Sounds like fun shoot'n,... enjoy!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
60+ years ago when I started reloading...use to pop lots of primers. When I would open the bolt, the primer would fal into the mag well. No chrono then...but I was above the book values by a few grains, and the books back then were considerably higher than the book values today. Only can guess what the pressures would be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a CZ 527 in .223

Very accurate rifle.
Nice little rifle

·
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Loads depicted in this post may not be safe in your rifle, use at your own risk.

Finally got a day without wind and time to work on loads for Miss Picky Pants.

Looks like 8.8 grains is a winner with 20 grain Vmax's

RJ

21 - 34 of 34 Posts