Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the fact of using that primer, will end up producing a higher velocity ??

I'm reloading for my 223 rem., using 26.gr. of h335, with an hornady 55 grains psp, bullet,

My rifle is a reminton 700 vtr,22 inches barrel with integrated muzzle break.

Second question: what kind of velocity can i get out of taht combination ??

thanks

:confused::confused:

·
Banned
490 Posts
There is no guarantee that using a magnum primer will result in increased velocity. Even if it does, it would probably only be an extra 20 or 30 fps., not enough to make any detectable difference in performance. I would expect around 3250 fps. or so with the combination you mention, but only a chronograph would tell you for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your gun will tell you the story when YOU run your loads over a chronograph. Not what you wanted to hear, but truth be told it is the only way. The simple PACT is not that expensive, nor is the F1 Chrony.
Magnum primers will not boost your velocity at all, because your load is what it is. The primer is just one part of the equation.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
That sounds like a very hot loading. Seems when I loaded some recently that that loading was causing pierced primers. I was down around 25.3 grains max for 55 grain bullets with H335. 25.5 grains H335 with 50 grain bullets was accurate from both my bolt action and AR rifles without pressure signs. Unfortunately the chrony was irratic because of the cloudy day so don't have accurate consistent data from those loadings. Range has closed for the winter so will attempt new data next spring.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
May or may not get more velocity, but will almost certainly get higher pressure peaks. Combine that with Hailstone's post, and I'd suggest extreme caution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers guys !!

Will start my new loads at 24.5 grains and work it up, until pressure signs shows up !!

And as far as velocity is concerned,i will emphasize on accuracy first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts