Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference - other than in the accuracy - between the two? Can I substitute one for the other in my loads (not for benchrest shooting)?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
Completely interchangeable. If memory serves, years ago read where the two are really the same. Only difference is when they get a lot with consistent burn rate, they deem it BR2. I've used both for years and think the little "B" stamped on the BR2 just gives me a warm, comfy feeling that I'm doing all possible for the best load.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys...on the CCI website, they mention something about "Only our most experienced skilled personnel put the priming mix in the cups" but little else. I would have hoped that those people would be training the lesser-experienced personnel, but whatever. I just had a bunch of the BR2s lying around and ran out of 200s.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
It's more than training (it takes six solid months of training before a new hire is allowed to make primers!). Some people have an indefinable talent for it. Think of it as akin to playing an instrument; training alone can't make you a virtuoso.

Everything else about those primers except for the little "B" stamp is identical - and the fact that they get filled by the Carnegie Hall "players".

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've read what kdub said . Primers are sorted from standard primers by weight and consistency for BR designation. Otherwise no difference.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If you stop to think, they can't stamp that little "B" in the cup after the primer is made. So it's not just sorting out the best ones. They have to know beforehand that it's going to be a match primer. At least at CCI.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't know about other companies but I've read what CCI says about their BR primers, and that is that they start out as regular primers and are sorted out. If the tiny mark they put on them would set them off , then I've had a lot of primers with deeper marks I've put on accidently while seating, or chambering with with a primer too high, that should have went off. When it comes to indenting a primer to ignite, it's where you hit it and how hard. If it weren't so I'd have been in deep doo doo long ago!:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts