Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the US Navy and Training in Florida. I would like to get my CCW there, as my military training will be in lieu of an official class, but I would like to be able to carry in my home state, MI. Michigan does not recognize FL, CCW if it is non-resident, but do they recognize service members differently? Would I be able to conceal carry in MI with my non-resident Florida CCW license?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Goose, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on being in the Navy. I'm retired from the Navy so I am just a little biased.

Your question is better asked directly to your home state, Michigan, probably the Attorney General. Its a very good chance you can ask via their website but I have not checked.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Lemme See.......

......if I understand your question. If you want to know if Michigan will alter their reciprocity law because you are active military,the answer would be no.

If you have a valid CWP in the state of Florida and Michigan does not have reciprocity with the state of Fla.,it will be no different because you are active duty military. You will not be able to carry.----pruhdlr

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If you got your CCW permit in MI would FL then recognize it?

CD

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
MI vs FL

From Florida Department of Agriculture ---

Florida DOES have reciprocity with Michigan however the direct quote is....."Florida issues concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals regardless of whether or not they are Florida residents. MICHIGAN and NEW HAMPSHIRE will honor the Florida license ONLY IF the license holder is a legal resident of Florida".

Also.....if you did get a Florida CWP(as a resident), while Michigan WILL honor it,it only allows you to carry a pistol or revo while in Michigan. A Florida CWP,while in Florida will allow you to carry most anything.

To answer CD's question above,YES if you get a permit from Michigan you CAN carry in Florida with that permit. All this is in Florida Statutes Section 790.015. And the general stuff is contained in Florida Statutes Chapter 790.

Goose 7, are you coming to the Pensacola area?? If so and I can help with anything(I'm retired USN)slip me a PM.

Good Luck----SAWMAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts