Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I cleaned my rifle tonight ...

I didn't disassemble anything.
I used a cleaning rod from the muzzle end and placed a cloth inside the chamber to catch any excess solvent and to help protect it from any damage that may occur from the cleaning rod being pushed through the muzzle end.
It seemed to make sense at the time. :eek:

Then when I went to close the chamber, I noticed the action was completely locked up. :confused:

I'm sure it has to be something really simple but, well ... the gun is new and it's my first lever action rifle so I'm not really all that familiar with it.

I'm posting some pics in hopes that maybe you guys see something obvious that may be causing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed that there is no spring tension on the firing pin, but I can't imagine this having anything to do with the breech locking up. It doesn't feel like something fell into the breech and is getting in the way. It's LOCKED.

Could it maybe have something to do with the vertical locking lugs?
I'm at a loss guys.
Help a brutha out. :D

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There is no spring tension on the firing pin because there is no spring associated with that part. It just slides back and forth in its' housing.

Might try depressing the hammer spur so that the hammer does not make contact with the breechblock. Then, try jiggling the finger lever (loop) and see if that doesn't free the action.

Check the double screws on the locking lug to make sure the one with the complete head has not backed out.

It's always better for someone with '92 experience to be there as trying to diagnose your problem without the gun is tough. Takes time to break in the parts on a new gun and sometimes things like this happen. Hope this cures your problem.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Did you happen to miss a patch and leave one behind inside??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Uh,Maybe.....

......try pushing the shell lifter down with your thumb and closing the bolt. Try taking the contact between the bolt and hammer away(hold back the hammer)and close the bolt. Is the extractor and ejector in place ??

Is something loose or has fell into the action ?? I have never experienced this with my weapon or have even heard of it until now. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no spring tension on the firing pin because there is no spring associated with that part. It just slides back and forth in its' housing.

Might try depressing the hammer spur so that the hammer does not make contact with the breechblock. Then, try jiggling the finger lever (loop) and see if that doesn't free the action.

Check the double screws on the locking lug to make sure the one with the complete head has not backed out.

It's always better for someone with '92 experience to be there as trying to diagnose your problem without the gun is tough. Takes time to break in the parts on a new gun and sometimes things like this happen. Hope this cures your problem.
Thanks Marshal.
Knowing that there's not suppose to be any spring tension on the firing pin puts me a little more at ease.

I did try depressing the hammer spur, jiggled the lever/breech, and no luck.
I also checked the double scews on the locking lug and all appears fine.
Though it is a "new" gun, the action is/was smooth as butta, right out of the box.
No parts to "break in" like on similar rifles made by other known manufactures.

Thanks for the response! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
......try pushing the shell lifter down with your thumb and closing the bolt. Try taking the contact between the bolt and hammer away(hold back the hammer)and close the bolt. Is the extractor and ejector in place ??

Is something loose or has fell into the action ?? I have never experienced this with my weapon or have even heard of it until now. -----pruhdlr
Tried all of that ... no luck. :(

I'm going to visit a local gunsmith here on my lunch hour and see if he has any ideas.
I'll let you guys know what he says.

Thanks for all your help. :)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You didn't happen to tighten up any of the receiver screws with the loop open did you? I did that with my loop closed and it locked up the loop. One of the screws (I think it was on the cartridge guide) was a bit long and loose. Tightening it up locked up the loop and stopped it from moving. Just another "maybe". . .:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You didn't happen to tighten up any of the receiver screws with the loop open did you? I did that with my loop closed and it locked up the loop. One of the screws (I think it was on the cartridge guide) was a bit long and loose. Tightening it up locked up the loop and stopped it from moving. Just another "maybe". . .:confused:
No, I didn't mess with any screws.
I simply opened the breech and left it open as I cleaned the barrel from the muzzel end.
And I was very careful when pushing the rod through, as not to damage the firing pin or any inner components.

Very strange. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the screw from the loading gate is not tight the loading spring will interfere with the locking lug on the right side and cause it to lock up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the screw from the loading gate is not tight the loading spring will interfere with the locking lug on the right side and cause it to lock up.
Checked that too ... looks good.

I just came back from my local gunsmith.
He said it's probably something very minor, but unfortunately it would have to be torn down in order to find out what it is.
So I just left it with him and told him to call me when it's ready.

As Clint Eastwood once said ... "A man's got to know his limitations". :D

Thanks again for all your help guys!

·
Banned
106 Posts
Try to get gunmanuels.net on your computer. It has plenty of information on winchester rifles including the 92. Don't give up.
Good luck.
Tom

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I cannot post a picture on Leverguns. Here is a picture of the link pin which was described to you. The pin may have a slight burr which prevented it from free floating. When you get the rifle back take a look into the open action and look for the p[in at the top of the lever.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
This thread is starting to worry me a little. I just ordered a 92 w/24 in. octagon bbl in 45 Colt from Cimarron. I really hope that I haven't made a costly mistake. I used to have a Rossi years ago, and never had a problem.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Dino, I have had that happen to my '92 Rossi. The cause was that the pin that holds the lever to the bolt (link pin that William Iorg described) had backed out slightly into the locking lug mortise.

The fix was to remove the locking lugs from the lever and push the pin back into place. That was 3 years ago and it hasn't happened since.

A permanent fix would be to dissassemble the rifle and upset the pin to keep it in place.

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dino, I have had that happen to my '92 Rossi. The cause was that the pin that holds the lever to the bolt (link pin that William Iorg described) had backed out slightly into the locking lug mortise.

The fix was to remove the locking lugs from the lever and push the pin back into place. That was 3 years ago and it hasn't happened since.

A permanent fix would be to dissassemble the rifle and upset the pin to keep it in place.

John
Thanks John!
Unfortunately, I took it to a gunsmith who has yet to even look at it.
If it weren't a brand new gun, I probably wouldn't be as anxious. But I've only had the gun for like 6 weeks, and the gunsmith has had it for 4 of them. :rolleyes:

Next time, I'll tear it apart and fix it myself.
I really hate relying on others.
Besides, I'll never learn if I never try.

Thanks for the tip. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well ... I finally got the rifle back today.
I was told that the problem was a broken pin.
I'm not sure exactly which pin it was or exactly how it could have happened but it's all fixed. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts