Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing gunsmithing (within my limited ability) on my S/S 44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk: custom sights, base pin, fire lapping, grip shaping, etc. It is now better than when I bought it.
Someone suggested I might buy a chamfering kit from Brownells and after the fire lapping cut a better angle for the bullet entry into the barrel.
Is there any benefit in doing that to use Beartooth WFN bullets? What is the risk of ruining my gun?
I went to the Brownells web site and see they do have chamfering kits for different degrees of angle. If chamfering is a good thing to do, what is the best angle?

Kudos: among the good information I learned at this shooters forum was to carefully and completely disassemble my SBH (keeping a good log of which screws fit where and which way parts are pointed when assembled) and look for poor machining work. I did that and son-of-a-gun if deep inside the revolver I didn't find a large flashing of metal that was almost (but not completely) cut off in the manufacturing process. A really nasty piece of metal that could have jammed up something if it broke off and fell into the moving parts! So I broke it off and filed the leftover sharp thing smooth and flat and am glad I did. So, thanks to you Shooters Forum contributors who motivated me to do that inspection.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

So, the only advise I can give you is the conclusion that I came to, that if you are going to mess around opening up the forcing cone (which is what I think you are talking about), be sure to get the gage that they sell.  That way you'll know before you start how much you can remove as a maximum, or whether you should attempt the job at all.

It does seem to me like you'll need to pretty much follow the original angle, or stick close to it, unless you want to set the barrel back a thread... doubt if you're ready for that yet!  Unfortunately I do not know what angle the Rugers are cut, however I would bet that the Brownell's people could tell you that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't thought about setting back the barrel. And NO, I am not confident to do that myself. However, I returned the gun when new to Ruger because there was a machine cut on the barrel face, and when they returned it to me they had reinstalled the cleaned-up barrel with only a 2-3 thousandths gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone. Really tight!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts