Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a new Winchester 94.  I got it because it has a 26 inch barrel.  I am thinking about re-chambering to 30-30 Ackley Improved.  What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
With the long barrel, you would be able to take full advantage of the .30-30 Ackley's performance potential.  I personally love the conversion, as it puts you nearly on a par with factory .300 Savage ballistics out of the lowly .30-30!

Now, on the side of practicality, if your shots are under 150 yards, like 85% of all big game killed, I really doubt that Bambi will ever tell the difference in what hit him!  From a practical hundred yard deer rifle perspective, you'll not see any terminal superiority with the Ackley version of the .30-30.

Now, for the fun part, it's great to have the ability to shoot flatter and farther with a 94!  Enter a problem however, that even though you have the extra powder capacity, you are still limited to flat nosed bullets in the magazine, and any benefit over long ranges will be somewhat limited due to the relatively poor ballistic coefficient of the flat nosed bullets.

Final word is, that it's a matter of personal choice.  My experience has been that a wildcat of any description, the Ackley Improved cartridges included, the resale value of any of the guns chambered for these specialties will fetch a lower price on the auction block than will their standard chambered counterparts.  If you don't plan on keeping this 26" 94 for ever and ever, it might be another factor to consider!

Have fun, and enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts