Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get lube out of your lube/sizer if you want to try another kind? I have a rcbs lube a matic. I would like to try the Beartooth lube. Is it similar to the lbt blue?

·
Registered
287 Posts
BC- Beartooth lube is very similar to LBT Blue. What kind of lube do you have in your sizer now??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's Javelina. Some type of alox lube. I started casting about 11 years ago and only sized a few bullets in and havent done anymore since then. I've decided to give it another try. I bought a LBT mold some years ago and some of the LBT blue lube but never got around to using either. I have a couple of sticks of the blue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just take the die out and run the ratchet down, it will squeeze the lube right out.  Put your new lube in and start sizinig.  The first 20 or so may come out speckled a mixture of the two lubes fine for pinkinig.  This can be messy.  

I like beartooth lube.  It is not sticky, doesn't produce any odor.  You definately have to heat it.  I have been shooting plainbased 200 grn 45 acp bullets in my 45 colt at 1100 fps.  they lead miserable with allox and various homemade lube.  Beartooth lube stilll allows some leading but it will brush right out.  These bullets do fit the cylinder but I haven't lapped out the constriction.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If worse comes to worst, you cam empty the reservoir as Matt recommends, then disassemble the sizer and boil it in water in a pot big enough for the whole sizer to fit in. You'll have to move it around a bit from time to time, but eventually all the lube will come out and float to the top. Let it cool in the refrigerator until the lube is nicely solidified, then peel it off the top and throw it away, (or save for use as flux). Boil the sizer again, then remove it from the water and it'll dry almost immediately. Let it cool (of course), then reassemble. Matt hit the nail on the head when he said that you'll definitely want heat with Beartooth lube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I removed the sizing die and ran all the lube out of the resivor.  I then plugged in the heater and took a hair dryer to the sizer to melt out just about all  of the lube. I mounted a small metal cup under the sizing die hole to catch the melted lube that came dripping out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts