Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Wolf spring kit for my Colt Cowboy. I just wanted a lighter hammer and smoother action. Not being much of a gunsmith myself I didn't do any polishing but just put in the new reduced power hammer spring. Now both the hammer and trigger are much better. However I also have a reduced power wire type sear/bolt spring. I left it alone for the time being but I'd like to know what changing that spring will do for me? What can I expect by changing it? Is the purpose of the lighter spring to facilitate rapid fire shooting?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
mcg, wise move posting this in "Cowboy loads and guns", otherwise I would never have seen it;)

I never cared for the wire springs. The idea of a reduced power sear and bolt spring is to save wear on the bolt head and cylinder. It also reduces trigger pull by a miniscule amount. Too light a spring is not good though.

The opposite of what you surmised is true. When cocking rapidly a heavy spring is preferable to get the bolt to engage the stop as quickly and surely as possible.

I don't mistreat my Colts, and have found Wisner's medium tensioned spring to work best, yet reduce wear.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/pistols/COLTpistol.html
part no. 50974 .035
(also available at Brownell's)

BTW, the current Colt SAA mainspring is a reduced power "dogbone"-shaped spring that works quite well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Appreciate the reply. You're right, I had it backwards. Guess that's what I get for using my brain! Also thanks for the Wisner's link. I hadn't seen that site before and I know it'll come in handy for some old Police Positives and Pocket Auto's I have. I think I'll just leave the bolt spring as is for now. I like the hammer and trigger just fine since I changed the hammer spring and I try to divide my .45 action between all the guns I have. I figure that saves on wear and tear. All the more reason to get another one, huh?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts