Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,944 Posts
I hand lapped all of my pistol barrels except one, the Colt Anaconda, in 45 Colt. I used 3.5 grains of bullseye, using a 255 unsized. I fired 50 thru the revolver and took it home for cleaning. There was still a little of constriction so the trip to the range I fired another 50. That took care of the problem.
Now I'm curious if maybe I should have used less powder.
Is there a reason for using such light loads? Does the light loads work better or do the heavier loads cause too aggressive lapping action?
Any suggestions for lapping a Winchester 1886 in 45-70? I've not slugged the barrel yet, to find out if there are any constrictions.
Jim

· Registered
1,944 Posts
"Have put 25 more through,  this time the victom was a business law text, constriction seems to be about 1/3 of a thousanth now, only in the extended frame."
Just curious but would the lapping been aided by shooting at a business lawyer rather then a business law text?
Jim

· Registered
1,944 Posts
I think I'll do the old tried and true hand lapping, rather then trying to fire lap. I can can control the lapping by feel as the lap is pushed through the barrel.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.