Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Matt, if you want to absolutely positively ensure that you don't get one stuck, then go about 2.5 grains.  Seat the bullet backwards, with the base flush with the case mouth.

Personally I'd start at 2.0 grains, and take a dowel rod and mallet with me to the range.  If by chance a few get stuck - and almost invariably one will - knocking then back through the tight spot only helps get it cut out sooner.   They'll tend to stick nearer the muzzle.

By the way, if some do get stuck, after a while this will quit as the barrel gets smoother.  So don't despair if it happens early on.

You didn't say if this was .44 mag or .45 Colt but I would use the same charge either way.

Be sure to throw away the brass when done or make an effort to get it REALLY clean.  The abrasive will scratch up dies, sometimes even carbide dies.  Been there - done that.

Make sure the cylinder throats are correct (a little over bullet diameter) before you start.  Otherwise, the cylinder throats just size down your bullets and they don't to much lapping.  Cylinders are much harder than barrels, and no, lapping isn't a good way to open them up.

Do make sure you see every bullet go downrange.  Usually you can feel the difference in lack of recoil if one gets stuck.  Be prepared for some funny looks from people at the range also.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.