Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back at the Forum after a long absence. Brand new problem, of course.

The extractor on a 1980s Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 Magnum rimfire [W.M.R.F.] is giving me fits. It's not bent or pitted ... and it IS clean and nicely lubricated. The rod extracts just fine when the cylinders are empty.

I'm using Winchester Super X .22 Magnum Rim Fire Jacketed Hollow Point ammo (stock # WSX22WMR), which is prob. from the late 70s or early 80s.
The live rounds slip IN easily ... and the extractor functions perfectly with rounds that are still 'live'.

But after I've FIRED the rounds, the extractor acts like it's been smeared with Gorilla Glue. It's next to impossible to push the head of the extractor rod enough to even tug on the rims of the empty cases one-by-one with my fingernails.
Once removed from the chambers, there's no evidence of the case flaring or anything else.
The cylinders are clean and smooth.

Anybody have any idea why a Charter Pathfinder won't extract 'spent' rounds?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Could there possibly be something on the ammo that when fired the heat and pressure could reform it into something like a glue? Try cleaning some of the ammo with a solvent like Acetone before chambering (let it dry of course) and try one or two. If this fixes the problem great, if not look deeper into something mechanical. Only things I can think of for the problem. Lou

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
What LR said.
Also check to see if the surface between the extractor/rachet and the rear of the cylinder wall is clean. It might be a good idea to remove the crane and thourghly disassemble/clean the whole cylinder assembly.

I always first readly clean a firrearm when it malfunctions....before starting to 'fix' things. surprising to me how many times the problem disappears.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Lou and Harry.
I'll try the solvent on the cartridges.
I think the gun was pretty dang clean, especially the cylinders, but it won't hurt to run another brush and some swabs down them again.
There is smooth movement of the extractor when you test it, so it's not bowed. It's clean and lubricated.
A local buddy suggested trying diff. ammo. And I'm ordering some.
I appreciate ya'll's input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
extraction

yes let me know I just purchased one nib about two weeks ago and went to the range on saturday and I am having the same issue but I am using the same ammo too. it was actually pushing the cylinder out vs extracting the ammo.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I've had a couple of rimfires do this over the years. The first, and worst, was a Dan Wesson. I sent it back to Dan Wesson twice, gave it to them personally once at a very large shoot, and never got it fixed. They didn't know what was wrong with it. They ended up putting a new cylinder on it and it was much better but not 100%. My belief is the chambers are not cut correctly. I think there are wider and narrower spots in some chambers and the shell expands in the wide spots and then won't clear the narrower spots. No ones ever been able to give me a better explanation and as you have indicated, cleaning isn't the issue. I think it's just a tooling/machining issue with tolerances.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It is very dificult to get deeper cuts farther into the chamber than shallower cuts closer the back, to create a barb effect, when you make the chamber with a rotary reamer from the breach!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my cylinder moved also

Tanman,
that same thing happened to me ... but on a previous outing. My efforts to extract the stuck empties ... actually nudged the cylinder off the crane.
I put the revolver away for sev. years and when I pulled out this recent time, the cylinder seemed seated just fine so I was willing to try it again.
On this recent experience, the cylinder problem did not repeat, but I still had the sticking problems I've described above.
It was a pretty inexpensive gun that a family member bought NEW-in-box over 25 yrs ago from a shop in a state far away from me now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
might be a lemon

NSB,
It surprises me that a Wesson had that problem also. I've always heard their quality control was tops. Of course, I guess a lemon can show up just about anywhere.
I'm now wondering if this Charter Arms Pathfinder that I have was a lemon to begin with and maybe the dealer even knew it when he sold it to my mom. To my knowledge, she never fired it at all. And I had not done so until that time a few years ago when the cylinder started separating from the crane (as I've described above).
Surely, as you suggest, it's an issue of machining and tolerances.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,125 Posts
Actually it is possible for the reamer to wobble a bit and make the chamber larger at the front than back.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Actually it is possible for the reamer to wobble a bit and make the chamber larger at the front than back.
The "wobble" can get worse the deeper it goes. Worn machine tool. The Dan Wesson I bought was a new company. Even thought Dan Wesson the 4th or 5th was involved in the company, the start up company wasn't a multi-million dollar state of the art machining facility. They had quality problems. That probably had something to do with their demise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MikeG,
If the chamber is slightly larger at the front, what is the 'fix'? Somehow I'm dubious that Charter Arms would take back (& fix) a handgun that I didn't even purchase (it was my mom's). Or do you think they would?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NSB,
I didn't realize any of those problems in the earlier Wesson history. I know only the broad strokes: that the original Wesson was at one time teamed with Smith. Later he branched off. And the Wesson guns of the 80s had a pretty good reputation -- both for workmanship and for innovation. But I'm interest to learn more, even though I don't own a Wesson. I like history.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The 1980 Dan wesson was a switch barrel. It had a veryvery thin barrel held iinside an outer barrel schroud by a front nut. Looked like a regular DA, but had the barrel being thin, and the temperature stress when fired. It was never know for being an accurate multi shot revolver.

The Dan Wesson of the swichbarrel company was the great grandson of tone of the foounders of S&W. He did work for S&W after his grandfather had passed away and S&W was a corporation. I don't think he had any ownership inS&W nor any high level managerial position. Just a guy trying to cash in on his family name.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Dan Wesson firearm is now a part of CZ. Ihad a BRNO that I bought in Europe years ago. I sent it back to CZ and they repaired it free (I had no record of the sale nor did they).
Nice people at CZ, I suspect they will repair it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'm back at the Forum after a long absence. Brand new problem, of course.

The extractor on a 1980s Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 Magnum rimfire [W.M.R.F.] is giving me fits. It's not bent or pitted ... and it IS clean and nicely lubricated. The rod extracts just fine when the cylinders are empty.

I'm using Winchester Super X .22 Magnum Rim Fire Jacketed Hollow Point ammo (stock # WSX22WMR), which is prob. from the late 70s or early 80s.
The live rounds slip IN easily ... and the extractor functions perfectly with rounds that are still 'live'.

But after I've FIRED the rounds, the extractor acts like it's been smeared with Gorilla Glue. It's next to impossible to push the head of the extractor rod enough to even tug on the rims of the empty cases one-by-one with my fingernails.
Once removed from the chambers, there's no evidence of the case flaring or anything else.
The cylinders are clean and smooth.

Anybody have any idea why a Charter Pathfinder won't extract 'spent' rounds?
Many times, a simple change of ammo/maker will TCB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too bought an 80's Pathfinder in .22 magnum with the same problem. I tried three different types of ammunition (all new manu.) and you have to bump the ejector rod on a hard surface to get it to eject. Did anyone come up with a fix for this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts