Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You could look on Gunbroker.com or Guns America and see what they have. The Marlin XL7 has been getting a lot of great talk from everyone it seems that has one and they are priced right.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,249 Posts
You may also take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard. Superb rifle at a low cost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
bountyhunter.....suggest you take a look at the Marlin XL7 in 30-06. Inexpensive and should be accurate out of the box, as the say. Have one in 25-06 and it was accurate out of the box. Has a nice adjustable trigger too, something the inexpensive Stevens 200 or Savage Edge/Axis rifles does not have.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
bountyhunter.....suggest you take a look at the Marlin XL7 in 30-06. Inexpensive and should be accurate out of the box, as the say. Have one in 25-06 and it was accurate out of the box. Has a nice adjustable trigger too, something the inexpensive Stevens 200 or Savage Edge/Axis rifles does not have.

and they shoot like this.:D

not bad for a $299 GUN with a $70 scope.:p

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Remington 710 in 30-06. The new version is the 770. Some people will scoff at this gun because it's not a 700 (and they're right, it's not). But for the price, they are solid and accurate rifles to get started hunting. Cabela's sells them outfitted with a scope for $300.

·
Registered
583 Posts
check around at your local pawn shops. there are always good old 30-06s gathering dust around such places. buddy of mine picked up and old springfield (i believe) that shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards for about $180 with a scope. It's not the prettiest one ever seen but can't beat the results for the price. some times a well worn stock can be a good sign of a shooter. somebody kept it around so long becuase it kept hitting the mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Earlier this year at a local estate auction someone I know bought a Remington 700 with a Leupold for 425.00. No paper, no tax, cash out the door. That is a much sweeter deal and much greater value than a Remington 770 with a junk scope for 300.00 plus tax and transfer. Good used beats bad new in my book every day. Don't rule out the auctions.
I agree, that sounds like a sweet deal. But, I don't think that kind of find is a common occurance. And, I don't think the 770 is a "bad" gun; it's just not as good as a 700 in some ways. If the OP is looking for a reliable and accurate 30-06 to get into hunting and/or shooting for a low price, then I see nothing wrong with the 770. If he wants a gun to build upon, then something like a 700 makes more sense.

I suppose it would be helpful if the OP clarified what he meant by "cheap" and "good."

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with the new Marlin economy bolt guns or a Stevens 200. My Stevens 200 may be the most accurate of my 12 rifles. Prior to upgrading to a Hogue stock though, it was brutal to shoot. Just as accurate, but man did it kick! Still, if I was in the market for a ecomomy .30-06, I'd look real hard at the Vanguard line. I have a Howa (same same) in .308 and just love it. The Howa's are a little more than the Vangaurds due to the nicer Hogue stock, putting them a step above the "economy class". In that class, round for round and dollar for dollar, nothing out there is going to outshoot a Vanguard IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts