Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the check out counter and a guy had a new side by side for $135. Looks like it has a lever to switch from one barrel to another. I did not see a safety. I was thinking this might make a cheap backup weapon for the Remington 870 and be way quicker to load if grabbing it from the gun safe.

Do they come with an eject lever or do you use dump out the brass?

Anything to absolutely avoid buying new?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
$135 Huh ??

Can't figure what weapon that was for $135. Given that....Rossi makes a "coach gun" that is fairly cheap. I believe that it has twin hammers though and would be a little slower outta the safe.

Howz 'bout this --->a pump gun with a loaded mag in the safe. Mag loaded,safety on,NO chambered round. Pull it out,rack the slide,safety on till you find the BG that needs to be cut in half. You could even make up a small sign for the trigger guard or a rolled up piece of small paper for the muzzle end.(CAUTION MAG LOADED)

In a HD situation I would not want to have to manually load a weapon in order to defend myself and family. Ready to go EXCEPT safety is(to me) the way to go.

Stay Safe ---pruhdlr

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I do think a SxS is a reasonable choice for defence of self.
The "cheap" part would NOT influence my decision to choose one though!

Could store one handy with the action open and loaded"code yellow". Close the action for "code red".

Re-load is purdy simple if needed? Just needs to be available.

Cheezywan

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Although I wouldn't call the Stoeger Coach Shotguns cheap they are in comparison to other brand names. Bought one for Cowboy shooting and more I shot it the better I like the shotgun. Shot nearly case and half of shells (old case @ 500 rounds) at trap targets and SASS shoots plus used during our pheasant season last year. With interchangeable choke tubes you can customize the pattern too whatever you desire.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> Howz 'bout this --->a pump gun with a loaded mag in the safe. Mag loaded,safety on,NO chambered round.

I have been giving serious thought to that. Though I have a lot of young children 3+ yoa and live in fear about them finding a loaded gun which is why I went with safes with digital keypads. That way they can't find mommy's keys and kill someone or themselves. On the rare instances that I do not sleep with my keys and .40 gun, it is in a smaller digital safe bedside loaded, with an extra clip, none in the chamber.

> Could store one handy with the action open and loaded"code yellow". Close the action for "code red".

Yea, that might be the way to go, I hadn't given much thought except as a backup gun. Very simple for my wife, no fumbling, and a lot quieter then the racking. I could put the #4 or #6 in the left (1st shot) and the self defense round (big .650? ball and five big buckshot) in the other side?

She isn't big enough to shoulder the 870 and rack it, we tried, so that just may be the ticket now that you mention the pre-loading, I had not thought about that. Thanks 2 all.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
"a new side by side for $135."
I'm still waiting to find out what SXS can be had, new, for $135?

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts