Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive got one that came in a package deal.. ive long since replaced the cheap simmons with a 4-12,bushnell.
but that scope has stood the test of time..i put it on an ole 22 yesterday..she sighted in easy an will hold accurracy today ,,after being on several rifles .. no telling how many thousands of rnds..[a lot ofem 30 06 rnds]
i have another of that the same scope..but the adjustments don t click[you just turn the dial].. i don t like it much for that reason,though..
but it also seems to hold up well.. a cheap simmons is just different than a cheap tasco..thats what experience with both ,,has taught me.. they may not be high dollar scopes but they are tough ..at least the ones i have are.. slim

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I've owned several Tasco and Simmons scopes, mainly Tasco World(?) Class and Simmons Whitetail Classic. After a failure of a Whitetail Classic that happened while sitting in a gun cabinet:confused: I decided to change out all such scopes in my collection to new, better rated ones.

A Tasco World Class actually made it's way onto several different rifles in my collection, while maintaing good operation. It also was replaced, perhaps unnecessarily. I did notice a significant difference in low light capabilities between these two scope models by Simmons and Tasco and even the entry level Nikons and Leupolds though. I'd suspect the fairly recent push to coat and multi-coat lenses has made these newer scopes much better for hunting at those low light times.

And no, thankfully I've not experienced any failures from the Nikons, Leupolds, Burris, Zeiss and Bushnell Elites I've replaced the other, older scopes with.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have a World Class 2x8x40 that came with the Model 70 .30-06 I bought several years back. It has long since been mounted on a Marlin bolt .22LR. Nice solid scope for that .22, not the best at low light as stated above. I had a Simmons Atech once that was fine. It did not survive a fall from a high tree stand. Who knows, A Zeiss may not have survived that. For the money, it was a good scope.

·
Inactive account
381 Posts
I own several Simmons scopes and they are the prosport or prohunter models, with the prohunter being the better Simmons scope, pricewise. They've been on 257Roberts, 6.5 Swedes, 7mm mausers or 30-06s. No problems holding zero and their glass clarity is good enough for me. I just shoot targets at local range 100 + yards away and have no problem clearly seeing the bullet holes.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I have a Simmons 3-9X that has been on several of my rifles and is now sitting atop a little 44Mag carbine. The glass is not very good, but once it gets light outside, it works well enough and it has never failed to hold zero or adjust POI predictably. I wouldn't trust it on an expensive out-of-state hunt, but other than that, it's been usable.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I've used Simmons scopes on all my 10/22's that I use for hunting. I love 'em. Mine are all 3-9X but I couldn't tell you a model.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I've used the Simmons on 22 rimfire rifles but never on a hunting rifle. I think it could take the recoil just fine but for the first ten minutes of light and the last 10 minutes of light, nothing beats my Zeiss scopes. Just so happens that most of the animals I hunt for are active about that time of day.
Just about any scope is good during normal daylight hours, Simmons has many followers on the the forum. For the money, they are hard to beat

Good Luck

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Have several older Atec's on various rifles chambered from .22LR to 30-06. Had one failure years ago when the reticle disappeared. Sent it in and received a brand new one in its place, which has worked fine ever since.

The Atec's are 2.8x10x50, so have large objective glass. This gives great light gathering for dark days, early and late shooting.

www.natchezss.com is presently having a sale on Simmons scopes.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
talking about old Tasco's of the last couple years and old tasco's of 10 yrs ago is like apples to popcorn. the older Japan made Tasco's especialy the World Class and even better the World Class Plus were very good optics.
simons too at a time was made in Japan, then bought and sold more times than we all can count (Tasco too) so both are a far cry from their former original incarnation. that being said, Simons had a great chance of getting better back when they redesigned them with the Master Series model. this was back when Mead also owned Weaver and used an older Weaver design in them to bring quality back to their adjustments and dependability. if they had only gotten a China Mfr that could have delivered for them it would have made them money. we all know the rest of that story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.