Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on what to buy for refreshing the checking on stocks
that I redo. Have done some of my own and for some mates.
Looking at Gunline tools thru Brownells Aust, but need to know what degree's to get 90
or 60. Was just going to get a single line tool so I dont have to worry about LPI.
Any thoughts / advice.
Never done checkering before so I'm in the dark.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The degree of the cutter depends on your LPI. The standard 18 LPI will be fine with 90 degree. The finer LPI do better with 60 degree. 60 also does better on the border lines. You will also need the cutter that you can pull to get into corners & edges so you don't get overruns. Dem-bart cutters last longer & their course ones work better than the Gun-line cutters. The handles are not interchangeable. It usually takes 4 to 8 cutters to do the average rifle checkering depending on how gunked up & worn it is. Brushing out the checkering with finish stripper first makes things easier. Bottom line is you will need both 60 & 90, plus pull type cutters & several handles. I recommend you buy the Dem-bart starter "kit", then add cutters & handles as you go. Single line is all you need for re-pointing. Figure $40-$50 for cutters/rifle. Practice on a junker first cause you ain't erasin' your mistakes.

·
Premium Member
14,352 Posts
Many European guns are 'oddly' checkered. Brownings were 75 deg until 1974. Most of the Japanese made Brownings are 80 deg. Some English are done 'flat-topped' and the tools are a narrow U.
American checkering is 90deg.

You can practice on old stocks, but it really helps to get the 'idea' first. Lay out a 3 1/2 to 1 diamond and try it. Checkering is about a hundred and nine times harder than it looks. ;) About the second acre it gets easier. ;)

I like Dembart, but I make a lot of my own tools, too.

Reactions: Greg Beetham
1 - 3 of 3 Posts