Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 9422 22LR sometime in the early 70s for $150. I still have it and it is still in pristine condition. The rifle holds 15 LRs and I used to lever them out in a few seconds to the consternation of my older brother (7 years older) who typically bought the ammo. He had and still has a Browning T-bolt with a 5-shot clip - he could out shoot me target-wise but it was a hoot being able to put 3 times as many rounds downrange than he could. I can echo the comments found on the web that this was a VERY well made firearm. Last year, I purchased a Marlin 1895GBL 45/70 and although it is a fine gun, the fit, finish, and action can't hold a candle to my 9422.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I agree. I have both a 1970 T-Bolt & a 1978 issue 9422 Mag, so although I don't rip off magazines-ful at a time, the fit/finish of the 9422 is MUCH better - especially since I have the extra-finish "XTR" version, with better wood, checkering, etc.

Reactions: DanWin22

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
I bought my 9422 22LR sometime in the early 70s for $150.
I wanted one of those as a 16 year-old kid (for most of 1974) in Idaho Falls, ID. We lived close to the outskirts of town and there was so much shootin' land to be had for just walking a bit to it. Now, all that open land is houses thicker'n bees on a hive. And $150 might as well have been $150,000. I couldn't get a job. Too young. All the jobs went to the college kids home for the summer. But I got even: I now live in Nevada, I own a slew of guns and I can shoot 1,000 yards (and more) just five miles from my house...

·
Registered
227 Posts
The first gun of my misspent youth was a Marlin 39A. I put so many rounds through it that I finally had to have it rebarreled to restore accuracy. Recently I got a ’72 vintage 9422. It had some rust spots I had to clean up, but internally it was pristine. I haven’t gotten around to doing a hardcore accuracy comparison with my Marlins, but they seem pretty comparable and the Winchester is better built. The internals are very nicely made and it is very smooth without any smoothing by me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
in my experience, Marlin 39A and a Winchester 9422 are the best of all lever action .22's ever made.

With current manufacturing trends migrating to alloys, plastics and less hand finishing I doubt if any future offerings will ever challenge their build quality. They are also extremely accurate and trouble free.

I have a 9422 of 1972 vintage and fits are superb. A Marlin Mountie has eluded me so far but I'm still looking for one to take it's place next to my Winchester 9422.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought a new in box 9422 a few years ago off gunbroker. I wish I would have had one 40 years ago. It is an incredible rifle. It is accurate and the action is very smooth. I just wish my old eyes could see the front sight more clear. I hate the thought of putting a scope on it but I have toyed with that idea. 9422's are in a class by themselves IMO. Just sayin'.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I love the 9422 but they are so out of reach now ;((

I bought my 9422 22LR sometime in the early 70s for $150. I still have it and it is still in pristine condition. The rifle holds 15 LRs and I used to lever them out in a few seconds to the consternation of my older brother (7 years older) who typically bought the ammo. He had and still has a Browning T-bolt with a 5-shot clip - he could out shoot me target-wise but it was a hoot being able to put 3 times as many rounds downrange than he could. I can echo the comments found on the web that this was a VERY well made firearm. Last year, I purchased a Marlin 1895GBL 45/70 and although it is a fine gun, the fit, finish, and action can't hold a candle to my 9422.
Hi Pumpkin chucker : We will hold the candle for your 9422 ;)) you are one lucky fellow to still have such a "perfect 22" - yes, I say perfect because I don't see there is another gun which can compare with it. Except the Marlin 39A & 39M - they come neck to neck. But Winchester 9422 is SO SPECIAL !

Shenkoh

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Pumpkin chucker : We will hold the candle for your 9422 ;)) you are one lucky fellow to still have such a "perfect 22" - yes, I say perfect because I don't see there is another gun which can compare with it. Except the Marlin 39A & 39M - they come neck to neck. But Winchester 9422 is SO SPECIAL !

Shenkoh
Back in the early 1970’s Shooting Times did an article on the .22 lever action guns available at that time.

Winchester 9422, Marlin 39A, Erma and the Browning BL22.

They mentioned the Winchester had a perfect bullseye on the first shot out of the box. They also mentioned the Winchester was the only one built to handle .22 Magnum cartridges. They said the feeding was carefully controlled and you could hold the gun in any position and lever a new cartridge without a problem. They also preferred the fits and bluing quality.

The Marlin also exhibited excellent accuracy but a bit off from the Winchester.

I have a 9422 built in 1972 that has superb fits but that doesn’t stop me from wanting a Marlin Mountie and a Browning to add to my lever action rack.

I’d call it a toss-up for accuracy between the Marlin and the Winchester and perhaps ammo choice could tilt the scale. Both are great

Yes, my Winchester 9422 is special to me and now I need a special Marlin Mountie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.