Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys heard of Chinese Water Deer before? I just heard that there is a growing population in Great Brittain that escaped from a game farm. The interesting thing about this type of deer is they don't have horns, they have fangs, big scary loking fangs and they bite from what I hear. Does any one know if there are any populations in the US?

Attachments

·
Banned
415 Posts
Haha...unfortunately, no...they are rather interesting though...

I used to work with a fellow (Lord Derek Foran), who actually is a "lord" from Great Britian. He lives a mile and half away from me now...just gave him a shout and asked him about them. He said they were deliberately released into the wild. He also said the only place they are found are in low lying areas (usually wet, and more specifically, an area with flowing water). He said they tend to live in reeds?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Same as the Asian Barking Deer or Musk Deer. Shot one o' them critters in Korea in the early '50's. Tiny thing (about the size of a german shepard dog) that had an 8 pt rack you could cup in your hands. The canine teeth protruded below the lower lip, but not quite as big as the one shown. Had spots on the hide almost like a fawn, but more subtle. Completely covered with ticks - wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole! Traded it for several sand bags full of pen raised pheasants the local villagers had.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a while back I saw a picture of a washington state black tail deer that had been harvested and had protruding canine teeth. It seems this trait is burried someplace in the g-nome of North american deer but thankfully it isn't the norm. google images yields lots of interesting pictures.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Leave them in China. Everything that comes here from China
seems to be bad. Except for the Pheasant. We are overrun with
a bug called a stink bug. It came from China on an airplane.
They believe they landed in Allentown, Pa. and they are on the
move. We have loads of them here in N.J.

Zeke

·
Registered
693 Posts
Leave them in China. Everything that comes here from China
seems to be bad. Except for the Pheasant. We are overrun with
a bug called a stink bug. It came from China on an airplane.
They believe they landed in Allentown, Pa. and they are on the
move. We have loads of them here in N.J.

Zeke
We have them here in MN too the stink bug that is, dang it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Lets not hijack the thread, guys - the poster is talking about deer, not bugs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't suggesting we start importing them. I don't think it is a good idea to go transplanting any animal deer or bug. just curious if anybody knew of any place they were running around.

·
Banned
68 Posts
They are one of numerous deer we offer in Great Britain. I've never hunted there before but it's something I look forward to doing in the near future. I was surprised at just how many deer species were in the mother country. Some giant Fallow deer are taken there each year as well.
gg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah the fallows would be something. I'd love to head down to New zeland for that or the red deer. those suckers are huge.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Excellent Fallow Deer are found here in the US; Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Spain, South Africa and a number of countries. Everyone already has them or are getting them. I've taken good trophy class Fallow out of Texas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts