1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add a tang sight( Lyman) or a tang peep sight
Marbles). The Marbles has windage adjustments and the
Lyman doesn't.
Do any of you have experience with using these sights with the Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70?
How important is the windage adjustment feature?
Do either of these sights provide a longer tang screw to replace factory installed the tang screw.
I am aware I will need to drill and tap for the second screw.

·
Super Moderator
9,461 Posts
Have to admit that I've not used the new Marbles or Lyman, but have mounted several old Lymans and a few "no name" tange sights to Marlins and Winchesters. I don't know if they come with a longer screw...do know that in mounting the sights that were designed to use the existing screw, it has (so far) always had enough engagment to work as it is. If the sight on the bottom tang of the screw not coming up exactly flush bothers you, you'd need a longer screw.

Only two of the old sights (both "no-name") had windage, all of the old Lyman sights had ony elevation. The dovetailed front sight is moved for windage...but you don't "dial in" windage at a whim. IF I were to order a new one, would get the Windage adjustable one.

Easy to sight in....just leave the open iron in place and then dial the newly mounted rear to match the open, then remove the open rear (or fold the rear down if it has that ability). I like the fold down rear (and Marlin at leas use to make a step elevator rear that did fold)...I sight the open iron for a light lead bullet load in the 900fps range and the rear tang peep for full bore loads.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go with the Marbles its all I use now , i like the idea of doing the adjustments just on the rear and not haveing to drift the front sight

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Swifty,

I have a Marlin .38-55 Cowboy that has a Marbles tang sight. At least for me, with the straight stock it makes the gun hard to shoot as with the position my grip hand needs to bei it is difficult to hold the lever closed against the safety lever spring. Actually, I suspect any tang sight would cause me the same problem. The pistol grip stock as on the standard 336 would help to alleviate this difficulty.

If possible, I suggest you handle a gun with the tang sight before making the investment.

·
Super Moderator
9,461 Posts
Man...forgot about that...the only tang sights I use are on straight gripped rifles, I find the pistol gripped rifles cramp my hand (or sting the **** out of it when the tang base recoils) and I have to adopt a grip that isn't natural. Would work with a light kicker, but not too happen with the lack of hand space with a hard kicker.

If you have big or fat hands, you may find the same...and it would be a shame to spend the $ on a tang sight only to find you can't hold the rifle to shoot it.
------
As hands go, mine are a bit large...don't know if dress gloves are sized like surgical gloves or not, but need an 8 1/2 surgical gloove.

·
Super Moderator
9,461 Posts
Man...forgot about that...the only tang sights I use are on straight gripped rifles, I find the pistol gripped rifles cramp my hand (or sting the **** out of it when the tang base recoils) and I have to adopt a grip that isn't natural. Would work with a light kicker, but not too happen with the lack of hand space with a hard kicker.

If you have big or fat hands, you may find the same...and it would be a shame to spend the $ on a tang sight only to find you can't hold the rifle to shoot it.
------
As hands go, mine are a bit large...don't know if dress gloves are sized like surgical gloves or not, but need an 8 1/2 surgical gloove. HAve the horible combination (for shooting pistol griped rifles) of a big fat palm and short thick fingers.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ribbonstone,

Only 8 1/2?? Try a 10/10-1/2. I had to turn the base around on my .38-55 to put the windage knob on the left side. The base still rests against the ball of my thumb, but at least I can hold it to some degree.

The bottom line on this is I wish I had bought a Lyman 66 instead, but a tang sight just seemed like it would be the thing. I have a Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem with a Marbles tang sight, but it mounts in a completely different fashion and doesn't interfere in the slightest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
choice for tang sights

Hi Folks:
I wanted to thank all of you for your comments and help.
I have ordered a Marbles Tang sight for use at the range, and perhps hunting. I also have a Leupold 1,75 X 6 32mm to put on for elk hunting. The rifle is light and handles so well I plan to use it elk hunting in the high country of Colorado. We usually camp at 10,000 feet and hunt up hill where the air is thin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts