Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a Remington 1100 12 gauge shotgun and use it primarily for Whitetail deer hunting and the gun comes from the factory with a modified choke, my question is where and if I can get a full choke with ventilated relief slots on the sides as it protrudes outside the barrel

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
Hastings is one manufacturer of aftermarket chokes, and Briley is another. I'd start with them.

I'll move your thread to the shotguns topic where it may get more detailed responses.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
The least predicable patterns are from buckshot. Smaller sized shot usually follows the typical pattern of denser cores with tighter chokes, but buckshot is less likely to.

Haven't done the work that others have, but have tested more than a few 12ga., and if I was to pick a choke for my initial tests, it would be a modified choke. Wouldn't be too surprised to find some brands/loads/buck sizes to like full, and some (like the 000 loads to even like Improved Cylinder).

·
Banned
674 Posts
I am the owner of a Remington 1100 12 gauge shotgun and use it primarily for Whitetail deer hunting and the gun comes from the factory with a modified choke, my question is where and if I can get a full choke with ventilated relief slots on the sides as it protrudes outside the barrel
You are deer hunting but you don't say what you are shooting slugs or shot.

If slugs I would stay with what you have, if buckshot I would pattern it first, you may not improve anything with a full choke. If you want it for waterfowl or turkey that is a different story.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buck Kicker choke tubes have given me good results with my BPS. I loaned it to a friend and never got it back but I hope I don't I've got a Browning A-5 and a Rem. Nylon 66 to keep for him. Try all kinds of shot size and brands. My BPS perferred Rem. 00 Buck my Rem.870
perferrs Fed 000 buck. After you find one that works for you write down what it is and don't do as I did and trust your memory. I used the wrong shells and crippled a deer this season
and really feel bad about it. I like to think I'm an ethical hunter and do the best I can to retrieve any deer I shoot.
It's expensive to shoot a lot of premium shotgun shells to determine which is best but it is worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Briley chokes are some of the best you can get. I'm sure if you were to call or email and tell them the intended purpose of your shotgun they could get you the exact choke you need. They have a good website and you can buy direct from them just as cheap as you can get them elsewhere. I just ordered two chokes from them a couple of days ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts