Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do other shot gun makers used Remington dimension identical 12g choke tubes. I have a recollection of some Turkish gun makers using Remington copies. A Charles Daley brand comes to mind.

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
I don't believe all Remington choke tubes are interchangeable. The choke tubes that came with my Remington 1100 are not interchangeable with my son's 11-87. You'd just have to try and see. Suggest you use finger pressure and not use a tool to start the choke. If it fits, you can always tighten with a tool.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to Ralph McLaney and Marshal Kane I have a clear understanding and the thread change between Remchoke and ProBore. Spartan was ok with me as it is the Baikal system same as Tru-Choke .749 X 44. Concerning Hastings Replacement chokes these are difficult to get by mail order sellers. Is hastings going out of business or consolidating their activities?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Choke Tubes

Thanks to Ralph McLaney and Marshal Kane I have a clear understanding and the thread change between Remchoke and ProBore. Spartan was ok with me as it is the Baikal system same as Tru-Choke .749 X 44. Concerning Hastings Replacement chokes these are difficult to get by mail order sellers. Is hastings going out of business or consolidating their activities?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hastings

To the best of my knowledge, Hastings is out of business. TruLock has a full selection of Hastings threaded choke tubes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
remington 1100, 1187, 870 have the same threads, thus are interchangeable. I have all of these three guns guns and i dont see any problem with interchanging chokes in them. However there are highly priced chokes from other aftermarket manufacturers you might want to get your hands with.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not quite:

remington 1100, 1187, 870 have the same threads, thus are interchangeable. I have all of these three guns guns and i dont see any problem with interchanging chokes in them. However there are highly priced chokes from other aftermarket manufacturers you might want to get your hands with.
The 1100 G3 and 1100 Competion, (introduced 2006). are slightly overbored and use Remington's Pro Bore series of choke tubes.

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
The 1100 G3 and 1100 Competion, (introduced 2006). are slightly overbored and use Remington's Pro Bore series of choke tubes.
I think Ralph's correct. The Pro Bore choke tubes that came with my 1100 Competition will not even begin to thread in my son's older 11-87 Trap model. Perhaps determined by date of manufacture, some will interchange but in my case they definitely do not. Hence, my response that one can only try interchanging and hope for it to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 1100 Hastings Barrel Choke Wrench?

Hello All:

Just picked up an older Remington 1100 12ga with a Hastings barrel. There is a choke in the barrel that I'd like to remove, but the choke wrenches I have do not fit (the teeth of wrench are too thick for the receivers in the choke tube). These are the wrenches I've used on virtually all of my other shotguns and have never had a problem.....

I've asked around to local shops but haven't had much luck so far. Can anyone tell me where I might find a smaller wrench, or better yet, how to identify exactly what size/style wrench I need?

Also, (rookie question here) once I remove the choke can I shoot target load with no choke in the barrel or will it mess up the threads, etc?

Thanks in advance-

Jim

·
Banned
968 Posts
Okay,

I just happen to have a hundred or so new chokes laying around and that includes Remington and Hastings.

A new Remington 20 gauge improved cylinder has the exact same notches as a Hastings 12 gauge coke.Thread pitch looks the same too. Obviously, overall diameter is different.

The notch size is roughly .101 or 2.61 mm, which is roughly the width of 10 or 12 gauge plate steel, I forget which.

I looked around in my garage trying to find a good makeshift tool from something common everyone would have made from plate steel.

I found it.

If you remove the dogs from a Husky 372, make that any 372 to probably 3120 series, part #5035907-01 D, you will find this fits perfectly in the Hastings choke and makes an excellent handle holding the dog spikes away with the extension held in your palm. With the flat part of the dog laying across both notches in the choke.

It is an exact fit and you will not be bending the dog anytime soon :)

The only websites I own to link to for a photo, are all political, so, I am linking to a picture of the "tool" here, go to the second photo:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196134160

An admin can just place the image in the post for me, I can't seem to find an icon for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.