Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First time posting here so kind of getting used to. It might be a simple question but i'm just starting on shotguns and i couldn't find a solid answer but guesses and no data respaldation at all. Will chokes reduce slug velocities? And if so, how much would it be affected in relation with each choke. I just purchased a shotgun with a 20" barrel and modified choke and i'm curious to know if it is going to be reducing the slugs by much compared to a cylinder bore.
Thanks in advance,
Manuel

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,402 Posts
The choke would probably exit the barrel, and head downrange with the slug, if it had much of an effect on the velocities. That's my guess.

Welcome.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,977 Posts
Never shot a slug from a choked barrel over a chronograph and doubt seriously anyone else has.
My take after shooting cast bullets in a T/C Contender 44 mag when accidently shooting them through a barrel with .410 T/C shotgun shell removal choke installed was the slugs were keyholing on the target at 25 yds.
Then, many years ago, a Remiington 870 12 ga. with a slug barrel and improved cylinder choke put the slugs into a 4 in group at 50 yds. Only ammo manufacturers had chronographs back then, if even they had them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts