Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old rifle, very nice topped with a Vari X 5 scope.
It has a chrome bore.
Is there a special cleaning procedure that differs from a regular bore that I should be using?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,938 Posts
Nope. Shoot, clean as needed, enjoy.
Chrome is used for a few different reasons, depending upon who is selling the idea. Erosion mitigation, lubricity, and rust prevention being the majors.
Depending upon how old and where it originated, some chrome lining was not done well. Larger than idea bores to account for chrome deposition, which wasn't as thick as hoped for; being one example.

Cheers

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTE="Darkker
Depending upon how old and where it originated, some chrome lining was not done well. Larger than idea bores to account for chrome deposition, which wasn't as thick as hoped for; being one example.

Cheers
[/QUOTE]
Model 50 JC Higgins, I think they did beyond what would be done today. It has a stock recoil compensator.
Thanks for your reply and advice!

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
What makes you say it has a chrome bore? I've torn down a dozen of those or more for the action (1951FN) but never seen a chrome bore in one.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,092 Posts
What are the markings on that compensator? Never saw anything like that before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe wrong here but the action, at least the bolt looks different from any/ admittedly few JCH rifles I have looked at. A cat of many colors? Not to cast shade but interesting to say the least to add with the comp.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
What makes you say it has a chrome bore? I've torn down a dozen of those or more for the action (1951FN) but never seen a chrome bore in one.
There are quite a few references online stating that the barrels were made by High Standard and were chrome lined. Not wanting to succumb to 'internet gossip', I kept digging until I found a reference that showed a Sears ad that in fact touts "Genuine FN Mauser Action Full Chromed Bore", here is the link: J.C. Higgins Model 50

Image here:
Guitar accessory Trigger Air gun Font Line
Guitar accessory Trigger Air gun Font Line

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have that same model rifle in 30-06. Doesn't have that brake on it though. Mine has a cracked stock in the wrist. So bought at a reduced price mainly for that action. I'll have to check and see if it's a chrome bore because I never paid attention. Interesting info on that J.C. Higgins.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
Notice the shroud mounted safety on the LEFT side. That is a 1951 FN action. If it has a C ring it was made before March of 1948, a cut ring is after.
I'd have to see the chrome-lined bore to believe it. It was an economy grade, imported rifle. Tradewinds had a different stock style but the same rifle.

Reactions: laidback

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I had many calibers to shoot growing up. But still looked at the gun mags and catalogs like they were the Sears catalog before Christmas!! :D Herter's of course was my favorite. I was a HUGE duck and goose hunter in Jr. and Sr. High School. I rarely missed a day during the season and even my Principals would cut me some slack if I was late.

I have a 1963 Williams Gunsight Catalog that makes me a little sick to my stomach! lol

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
A neighbor gave me a 1946 Stoeger's Shooter's Bible when I was eight. I learned ballistics tables and multiplication together. :)
The ballistics part was voluntary.
I still have a collection of Stoeger's from '51 to '88.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
"Chrome bore" in this context is the same as platinum-titanium razor blades. Some ad jerk saw 'chrome-moly steel' and decided he knew what that meant.
Anybody that's looked in the end of an SKS has seen a 'chrome-lined' bore. You know, those Chinese bench rest rifles. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
"Chrome bore" in this context is the same as platinum-titanium razor blades. Some ad jerk saw 'chrome-moly steel' and decided he knew what that meant.
Jack,
Their wording, in both ads, does not come across as some hap hazard mistaken reference to chrome-moly. Whether, in fact, true or not, they are very specific.

The first ad shows a cross sectioned barrel section and reads: "Chrome-molybdenum steel barrel with CHROMED BORE (caps by them). Tests prove it reduces friction-resists rust, erosion - stands up longer under pressures of today's more powerful ammunition."
A second reference to the barrel specs. says: "Chrome-molybdenum steel barrel with chromed bore - made by one of America's best known arms makers."

The second ad says: "Barrel: Finest proof-tested steel with advanced-design chrome-plated rifling usually found only in custom-built rifles. The chrome-plating protects your rifle from internal rust. It provides a harder internal surface to withstand high temperatures developed by today's most powerful ammunition. Perfectly balanced barrel is 22 inches long, crowned on muzzle."

P.S. Edit: I will add that their words are definitely 'marketing puffery', for the usual intent, just don't think it's an error or misidentification of chrome-moly.

Having never owned or inspected one, I certainly don't speak with authority or personal experience, and I 'don't have a dog in the fight', but their ads sure don't seem like 'marketing puffery' resulting from an ad man going off on his own based on his misunderstanding of terms.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Notice the shroud mounted safety on the LEFT side. That is a 1951 FN action. If it has a C ring it was made before March of 1948, a cut ring is after.
I'd have to see the chrome-lined bore to believe it. It was an economy grade, imported rifle. Tradewinds had a different stock style but the same rifle.
how can you tell if a barrel is Crome lined ?

cheers.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
I'm just a slave to my own experiences. I had a list of 'Wanted Rifles-Any Condition' on the wall of my Colorado shop. The JC Higgins M50 was one of them and I bought a dozen or so just for the actions. The stocks and barrels were sold at gunshows. I don't remember a chrome lined barrel but that doesn't mean they weren't there. About the same time, SKS carbines could be bought for $89 with a spam can of ammo. They had chrome lined barrels for sure, no doubt about it.
Shotgun barrels are many times very thinly plated with electroless nickel that tears up re-choking reamers. It could be FN was doing that to rifle barrels, too.
Advertising has proven too unreliable to be a source of real information for me. After a while it all sounds like Mr. Herter wrote the copy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts