Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I understand this ailment is passing through deer herds in both the midwest and western Northeast states. What exactly is it, does it only affect deer (or do domestic cattle and such suffer from it), how is it contracted and is the venison from infected wildlife edible? I've never heard of it and am totally clueless.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As far as they know it can't be transmitted from deer to humans. The various state DNR around here are jumping all over this. We don't have any in Iowa yet, but the state DNR has now prohibited the import of big game animals or their carcasses from any state where CWD has been identified. Once that bug gets going, it looks like the Wisconsin solution is (unfortunately) the only way to go.
Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
CWD

It was first noticed in 1999 in Wi and nothing was done about. Now since it has spread the DNR wants all the deer dead in the lower part of WI. They blamed baiting as a of the problems so they banned baiting and if caught expect to pay between $2000.00-$3500.00 in fines. Now the DNR asked for an additional 14 Million to help pay there wardens overtime and other expenses. They charge enough for a License and now they want more. The DNR has hurt alot of business that sell sporting goods. If Wi wants to get rid of there problem just get rid of the DNR.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Alyeska,
CWD is similar to BSE (Mad Cow) but in deer/elk and is apparently not communicable to livestock. There is no proof that is has been transmitted to hunters, but there are some cases being studied right now that indicate that it MAY be a possibility.

Steve,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are spouting idiocy. Without the DNR and the efforts of conservationists and hunters, there would be no deer for you to hunt. If you look back to the turn on the century, game populations where less than 5% of what they are now in almost all of the country. You and I might question the tactics and management of our local Fish and Game departments, but they are responsible for the tremendous quality and quantity of wild game that you and I have the opportunity to hunt today. I'm not trying to start an argument, but you might want to think about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cwd

Yeah I like to spout off. The only thing the DNR has done for me was plant abunch of turkeys in my area. They do more harm and good. I manage the quality of wildlife in my woods myself. I own my own hunting land. As far as a idiot look in the mirror Kich. I am in a good mood to get in an argument.

:mad:

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hey, Gents, keep it civil, or this thread will be locked. We do not want the kind of stuff that goes on on some other forums here.

Thank you
Jack

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I apologize for the Idiocy remark. It's just that it annoys me when "whoever" feels that they know it all and are ready to bash trained wildlife bioligists at every turn. Do they do everything as we would? No. Do we agree with them all the time? No. But I feel it is rather childish to take the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
It seems to me this is suppose to happen. It is how we defend hunting. We say if not for us controling the herd they will overpopulate get disease and all die. Well, that is what is happening, isn't it. We are not doing our job. We need to kill deer. Longer seasons, more hunters(more efficient hunters) and more liberal bag limits.

I am from the most liberal states on all these and we still can not control the herd. The DNR does not really have a handle on this CWW yet but they don't need to wait to do the things I said to reduce the herd or mother nature will. I do not know why the DNR here will not extend the season into Jan. and even Feb. It only makes since. They continue to open it earlier even though it is not an easy time to kill deer. Ours is mostly political and I suspect it is that way in states like Wis. I have friends that say that there are entire towns that base their economy on the two weeks of deer season and 80% of the people that have gone "up north" to hunt are just going to places like Early(the town) to party and never go hunting. Extending seasons I guess could jepordize the economics of a whole region.

I am not a biologist but I read all I can in this area and have been involved with the outdoors a long time. I stay involved and have tried just about every hunting and fishing opportunitte my state has to offer in my 49 years. I graduated Clemson Univ. in the seventys with a degree in Entomology(that's bugs) and my intersest in the environment has never waned

We bait deer in my area and I can see how some feeders and for that matter salt licks could result in muzzle to muzzle contact. If diseases are in fact spread this way then possibly this would reduce some of the spread but not all because there will always be muzzle to muzzle contact naturally at salt licks and water holes and perssimon trees and heavy acorn drop. Because deer are browsers naturally I do not think CWW will devistate the deer heard but grazers like cows, watch out. And there lies the problems. The livestock ranchers are a strong lobby with a legitamate interest and could be seriously effected economiclly by this type disease if spread to these animals. They will use scare tactics, like anyone else will to protect their interest and unfortunately we as deer hunters may take a hit. Once the ranchers lobby starts saying that their animals having disease could spread to humans, wheather it is based in fact or not, the deer and hunters will be the fall guy.

We need to get our DNRs to take appropriate action now, and that action may be no action and let this CWW take it's toll of the population and die out. If the ranches do not panic this thing in my opinion would take care of itself.

Wow, I must have an opinion about this! Did not know it before today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cwd

Kich I apologize for calling you an idiot.
Here is one of the last posting I received from the DNR about feeding deer.
You may continue to feed birds and small animals as long as the food is in a feeding device inacessable to deer. Deer, bear and elk ar not small animals.

If food is spilled on the ground by birds or other small animals, you are not in violation of the rule but you should try to clean up the food so deer are not attracted to the area.

A feeding device can be no further tha 50 yards away from a dwelling such as a house,cabin,restaurant or place of work.

You may hand feed birds and small animals as long as you are not more than 30 feet from the food and you remove any leftover food before you leave the area.

You cannot use food, mineral,salt,protein or other supplements or materials to feed or attract deer. Such materials that were place before this rule must be removed.

Food placed on your land by someone else is your responsibility. If you are notified about a feeding site on your property, you must remove it whether you placed it there or not.

You may use liquid scents for hunting deer but may not place such material in a way that is accessible to deer.

Mineral, salt,protein or other supplements being used for legimate agricultural purpose are not prohibited

Food available as a result of normal agriculture practice or by standing wildlife food plots is not regulated by this rule.

PENALTIES

Violation of Baiting Rules Violation of Feeding Rules
Up to $2,091 Up to $300.00

You also face the possibility of losing hunting,fishing and other natural resource privileges.

That is from the lastest flyer I get from the DNR.
Hunting season in Wis. does bring in a lot of revenue for bsuiness owners here. Since the Media and the DNR blew CWD out of proportion. Their is lot of people have decided not to even go hunting.
I sell licenses and my sales are down about 50% from last year. Usually when someone buys his license they buy something here.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If you can shoot all the deer you want, get me a connection for some land to hunt., I've got several different weapons that have yet to be blooded. I'll buy a liscense from you and kill all the deer I care to.

I understand your pain as a small business owner, it seems as though everything done is nothing more than a punishment to you personally. I started a business a year and a half ago, and all the Barbera Striesand (BS) you have to go through just to do business is a PITA, not to mention the special regulations and taxes related to your particular business.

Seriously, if you need someone to help thin the herd and prevent the spread of disease, I can sharpshoot deer all day long. They have two counties here, in Nebraska, that have the same type of deal your DNR is trying to do there. No limit, end of story.

By the way, I previoulsly lived, and grew up in, Minnesota. Crazy Cheesehead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cwd

Sometimes a little crazy. But not a cheesehead you have to be a packer fan for that and that I am not. Perfer to be out in the woods hunting than sit next to a TV.
Wi DNR did request an additional 14 million dollars to combat CWD. Mostly to help pay the wardens overtime to shoot the deer. They cheat a little they use helicopters. Also to help pay for the tests and the disposal of the deer. The DNR also have put some deer in cold storage to test later.
By the way isn't Minnesota Vikings fans called MUD DUCKS.
:)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I don't know about the Vikings fan deal, I gave up on them long before I moved to where I am now.

It seems that harvesting deer from the air with Wardens is a waste of money when they have people that would be willing to harvest deer, that they can eat, for free, or a small tag fee. As I said I'll come up that way for a week or two and kill, it's my slow season for work and I have plenty of time to spend in the woods. I've got a 35 Whelen Improved that needs to be blooded, as well as a few contender/contender carbine projects that could use a work out.

****, if all else fails, I'd stick a couple with my bow or knock a few sideways with the smokepole!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
cwd

I am trying to get some more information from the dnr. To go in that area to kill there deer off. Any information I can get from them I'll pass it on to you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A friend showed me a copy of "Deer & Deer Hunting" magazine, evidently a Wisconsin publication. The issue was devoted entirely to CWD in Wisconsin deer. Interesting stuff, but it really brings out one fact: Nobody knows much at all about it. Experts disagreeing with each other. One or two of them hold with my theory that it's been around a long time, others that it's a new disease. At least, several points of view are presented, not just the party line of government or a DNR.
DC

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Intesting. Texas has begun extensive testing, and so far, no reported cases. There are a lot of deer bought/sold/relocated in Texas, so it's a very big issue down here. Moving a lot of deer around doesn't seem like all that good of an idea on the surface, and no doubt contributes to the spread of CWD.

However, the deer trade has benefits. In order to get a permit to move deer, the ranchers have to turn in so many heads for testing, a minumum of 10 and a maximum of 40, depending on the number of animals being moved. So a lot of samples are being provided at minimal cost. The state is also randomly testing deer that were killed on the roads.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Jack,
thanks for the link, that's a good article. Here, in NE, they have a CWD zone in the western area of the state that is a free for all kill zone also. I've yet to hear what kind of research is being performed in relation to the carcasses though. The disturbing thing is that is all seems to come from two research facitilities, meaning that if they do find out what caused it: we'll likely never hear about as a result of CYA tactics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts