Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chrono'ed some loads this AM.  All charges were dropped with Lee hand dippers.

350 gr Laser Cast bullet, starline brass, Win primer, RL7 powder.  Velocities are 5 shot averages:

37.6 gr = 1606 fps, 127 sd
41.6 gr = 1590 fps, 52.27 sd
45.5 gr = 1813 fps, 13.52 sd
50.0 gr = 2006 fps, 30.47 sd

405 gr Rem SP, everything else same:

41.6 gr = 1844 fps, 4.24 sd
45.5 gr = 1960 fps, 17 sd

Note that they all kick like ####.  The rifle has a Williams FP reciever sight on it, and rocks to 175 yards are no problem.

I'm thinking the 45.5 load with the 350, and the 41.6 load with the 405 are the ones to use.  They should certainly topple over any Elk I might shoot at.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

Those are very interesting results and I'm glad to see such.  My load of 53 gr. 3031 behind the 405 Remington was clocked at 1820 fps, and it did kill an elk.  Shot clear through, with expansion.  Worked great.

I had a local gunsmith put a 1/2" recoil pad on my EL because it was too short for me.  It helped the recoil considerably.  He was able to mould the shape of the pad to fit the curvature of the stock, so I can replace the pad with the steel butt plate, if I so choose.  The 1/2" is not really enough for me, but I will not go more on the pad.  Might give that a try, as the stocks are built for pre-1900 people (or Japanese) it appears to me.

dclark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did put on one of Cabela's slip-on recoil pads, which helped a lot.  It's a 1/2" thick Akton, whatever that is.   Like you, I did it for increased LOP, and to protcet the butt end of the rifle.

Of course, shooting off a bench wallops one harder anyway.  Offhand is a bit easier.

Tom

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just to let you know, there's a seldom mentioned law about shooting heavy loads in the 45-70. It seems it was slipped into one of the appropriations bills for financing the equality of the sexes. One of our Congresswomen felt that all men should share equally in any discomfort so.....
If you are a married man you are allowed to use a recoil pad. However if your are a single fellow you are not allowed to use a recoil pad. It seems she wanted an equality of pain and residual soreness.
But like marriage no matter what you do you are wrong!
Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tom,
Is this a Guide Gun?  If so, try those Rem SPs with 54 grains of IMR4064.  I shot that load nearkt straight through an elk an' got 1-1/4" mushroom under the far side skin.  Very accurate too.  I have 500 or so of those bullets left.  Kinda gone to cast lead now.  But the performance was impressive on the two elk I've shot with it.  No need to get fancy bullets with a 45/70.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I see it is a extra light (duh).  Don't know how much pressure those will handle, but it should be equivolent.  Best to work up slow.  My 1886 (curved metal butplate) will handle hot Marlin loads, but its jus' too uncomfortable to shoot much like that.  I'm gettin' soft in my old age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts