Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fired some Winchester 40 grain HP Subsonics from my 582 Remington. With open sights the ammo grouped good at 25 yards. Chronograph results from 15 shots are

Hi Velocity 1064 fps - Lo Velocity 861 fps - Avg Velocity 984 fps - Extreme Spread 203 fps - Standard Deviation 49 fps.

Anyone else ever chrono .22 rimfire ammo?

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
No, I've never used a chronograph on anything except my own handloads but it sounds interesting. I've definitely noticed some .22 ammo is very accurate, while other stuff is mediocre. If I noticed that much standard deviation in my handloads, I would not expect good accuracy and I'd be back at the bench trying a different powder. Have you shot those rounds at longer range, to determine just how good the accuracy is?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accuracy really wasn't bad @ 25 yards, but I'm not sure @ 50 The scope was out of adjustment clicks so I removed it to shoot open sighted. Still couldn't get the darned thing to adjust right so I'll be after a scope for it.

I was baffled by the spread as well. I plan to chrono different brands and post back here with the results.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I used Aguila Super Colibri to test out my new Chrony, I got 502.36fps low, 573.77fps high 548.39 fps avg, ES of 71.41 and stdv of 22.33
Can't wait to try it out on the big stuff.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For interest:

Lapua Trainer 1006 fps SD 9.11
Lapua Super Club 1020 fps SD 16.85
Lapua Polar Biathalon 1040 fps SD 21.33
CCI Standard Velocity 1015 fps SD 13.89
Winchester T-22 40 gr. 1067 fps SD 18.08
Remington Target 1052 fps SD 24.20
Winchester .22 Ball Standard Vel. 1101 fps SD 7.81
Federal 36 gr. Hollow Point 1201 fps SD33.34
Winchester 40 gr. Dynapoint 997 SD 26.47
CCI Stinger 1562 fps SD 30.46

All shot from an Anshutz Biathalon Model 1827 20" Barrel during testing of various loads for competition.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
SaskShooter: Which did you pick? The Lapua ammo is well thought of. Have you tried to chrono them at low temperatures?
I had my best success with that gun and the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I stocked up before it went out of production but am getting low.
Pete

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Saskshooter,

Did you do all of that shooting/testing yourself? That is fascinating, to me. Which ammo gave the best accuracy? Was there a linear association between SD and tight groups, the way you'd think there would be? Do you recall calculating the per shot cost of the same ammo?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Temperature was -4C. Chrono 12 feet from muzzle. No wind. It was all shot in one afternoon and no one will ever argue it was really scientific. Just a chronograph and several brands of ammo collected to see what could be found out.

Accuracy was very good with Lapua Super Club and the Winchster T22, we think, but results with a couple more are so close that it indicates we didn't really do enough testing to be certain, and that a lot of .22 ammo intended for target shooting is actually very good.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info! Saskshooter, how many shots were fired for each string? The results can tell more with more shots in the same string I've learned. My results were for 15 shots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.